Downtown Flood Barrier & Eau Claire Promenade
About the projects
Downtown Flood Barrier
Protecting Calgarians from floods is a top priority for our city, and we're doing so while enhancing the Eau Claire area at the same time. We're implementing flood mitigation measures from Calgary's Flood Resilience Plan approved by Council in 2017. These include flood barriers and stormwater improvements to ensure Calgary is protected against a 2013-level flood on the Bow and Elbow Rivers. The Downtown Flood Barrier will extend from The Peace Bridge to Reconciliation Bridge and lower the risks of flooding in the downtown, Chinatown, East Village and Eau Claire communities.
Eau Claire Promenade
The Eau Claire Promenade extends from The Peace Bridge eastwards to the Reconciliation Bridge. Our goal is to extend the work we did at West Eau Claire Park to create a safe, efficient and beautiful riverfront promenade and cycle network that integrates flood protection into a space that connects Calgary’s downtown with the Bow River.
Our goals for the Promenade focus on:
A space for the City and Community
- Accommodate all users for all of Calgary
- Connect people to the Bow River
- Build a vibrant centre city riverfront
- Design a diversity of social spaces for mental well-being
- Promoting active, healthy lifestyles Incorporate strategies for year-round healthy, active lifestyles – a better space for walking, jogging, biking, etc.
- Provide a continuous, safe and accessible riverfront promenade
- Designate efficient pathways for safe alternate modes of transportation like scooters
- Preserve the natural environment by protecting most of the existing trees and plants along the riverAchieve multiple cost benefits through durable and beautiful design solutions
Flood Protection and Resilience
- Integrate flood protection into the public realm improvements
- Increase resilience for Eau Claire, the Downtown Core and future infrastructure projects
Both the Downtown Flood Barrier and Eau Claire Promenade projects are being launched and coordinated with the overarching Eau Claire Area Improvements.
请滚动至页面底部，然后使用Google Translate 改变文本的语言。如果您没有看到Google Translate 的选项，请尝试使用其他网页浏览器查看本页面。
請滾動至頁面底部，然後使用Google Translate 改變文本的語言。如果您沒有看到Google Translate 之選項，請嘗試使用其他網頁瀏覽器查看本頁面。
Q4 2020 – Q3 2023
April 13, 2019
October 5, 2019