No Cost Spay & Neuter Program
The No Cost Spay/Neuter Program provides free spay and neuter surgery for companion cats and dogs of eligible low income Calgarians.
Calgary continues to experience an increase in stray cats, as tracked through Animal Services, other shelters, Humane Societies and rescue groups. Prioritizing cats is an important step in managing the stray cat population. The program will be reviewed in 2023 to determine if, and when, dogs can be phased into the program.
If you are needing to have your dog spay or neutered immediately, there are a number of vet clinics offering low cost spay and neuter options in Calgary and surrounding area. Please research vet clinic options in your area.
This program is not available for breeders. All applications for this program are referred through The City’s Fair Entry Program.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the city of Calgary.
- You must own the cat at the time of the application.
- The cat must be licensed at the time of your application through The City of Calgary.
- The licence must be in the applicant’s name.
- Applicants must be referred through The City’s Fair Entry Program and may only apply for the program once every 12 months.
- The cat must be healthy, Female cats in heat and pregnant cats can be spayed. We recommend that the animal is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
For information on the cost of licensing your animal and where you can purchase a licence please visit our Responsible pet ownership and licensing page. Once your pet is spayed/neutered it will be eligible for a reduced licence fee when you renew your licence.
This program is not available for breeders. Pets that are not eligible for spay and neuter surgery:
- Unhealthy or contagious cats. This includes cats that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
- Nursing cats. We spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
What does the No Cost Spay & Neuter Program include?
Services provided free of charge include:
- Spay or neuter surgery for cats.
- Post operative painkillers.
- A microchip.
- Post-operative medication (at the discretion of the Clinic veterinarian).
- An Elizabethan collar (at the discretion of the Clinic veterinarian).
Veterinary care unrelated to the surgery is not included in the No Cost program.
To access our No Cost Spay and Neuter program, please apply online now.
Other Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs
There are a number of vet clinics offering low cost spay and neuter options in Calgary and surrounding area. Please research vet clinics options in your area.
For more information about The City’s No Cost Spay Neuter Program or the Fair Entry Program, and if you need translation assistance, please contact 311.