McKnight Boulevard Transportation Study
The McKnight Boulevard Transportation Study identified recommendations for short-, medium-, and long-term plans along McKnight Boulevard from Deerfoot Trail to Stoney Trail. The recommendations were approved by Council November 2016. A summary of the study process and the approved short-, medium- and long-term plans is included in the TT2016-0647 Report.
Highlights of the approved plan
Short-term (Completed in December 2016)
- Widen McKnight Boulevard to six traffic lanes from Deerfoot Trail to Barlow Trail.
Medium-term (No funding at this time)
- Relocate left-turn movements to right-in/right-out ramps located east of 12 Street N.E.
Long-term (No funding at this time)
- Elevate 12 Street N.E. to fly over McKnight Boulevard tied into the right-in/right-out ramps in the medium-term plan.
The Study also looked at possibilities for High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) facilities but is not recommended at this time. Detailed recommendations are documented in the Executive Summary of the study.
There is currently no funding available to implement the medium- or long-term plans. The City conducts long-term transportation studies like this one so that approved plans can be considered and prioritized for funding in the 10-year transportation infrastructure capital plan called Investing in Mobility.
Why do the study
McKnight Boulevard is a critical east-west link within Calgary’s northeast transportation network. Significant area development, and changes to the transportation network including the closure of Barlow Trail, the opening of the Airport Tunnel, and the completion of northeast Stoney Trail, have resulted in the need for an updated long-term plan.
The McKnight Blvd Transportation Study examined opportunities to improve the traffic flow in the short- and medium-term by improving the existing infrastructure with low-cost measures. The aim was to help relieve congestion along McKnight Boulevard until grade-separation can be provided.
- Report (TT2016-0647) to the Transportation and Transit Committee
- Executive Summary of the McKnight Boulevard Transportation Study
- October 2014 public open house display boards
- January 2014 public open house display boards
- Phase 1 (Nov. 2013 to Mar. 2014) Public Input Summary
- Phase 2 External Stakeholder Workshop Summary
- Phase 3 Public Input Summary from Open House #2
- Online Information Session FAQs
- Online Information Session Live Chat Conversations