Facility information and hours - Bob Bahan
Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre
Hours of operation
Hours of operation refer to facility hours only. Administration closes a half hour prior to closing of building.
Pool, hot tub, steam room and weight room hours are the same as the facility hours. Check above for current status.
6 a.m. - 8 p.m.
12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
6 a.m. - 8 p.m.
12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
6 a.m. - 2 p.m.
7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Feb 20 (Family Day), Apr 7 (Good Friday), Apr 9 (Easter Sunday), May 22 (Victoria Day), Jul 1 (Canada Day), Aug 7 (Heritage Day), Sep 4 (Labour Day), Sep 30 (Truth and Reconciliation Day), Oct 9 (Thanksgiving Day), Nov 11 (Remembrance Day), Dec 25 (Christmas Day), Dec 26 (Boxing Day), Jan 1, 2024 (New Years Day)
Weight room hours
Youth age 13 - 15 will be permitted in the weight room only after completing a Weight Room Orientation (registration fee applies). The Orientation is required even if youth are accompanied by an adult. Youth must also provide the Strength Training Waiver form signed by their parent/guardian. Upon successful completion of the Orientation, youth will be issued a Youth Strength Training card/sticker. It must be presented prior to admittance into the weight room.
To learn when the next Weight Room Orientation is offered, please register in person on-site or call the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-3800, option #1.
Regulations and Guidelines
We are committed to a safe and respectful environment. Your courtesy and patience towards patrons and staff is expected.
Support Worker/Aide Policy waives the admission fee for a Support Worker who is directly supporting people with disabilities to participate in recreation programs and services.
It is the responsibility of the participant to arrange for and provide their own Support Worker; if needed. Although there are no admission or registration fees for Support Workers to attend programs with a paying customer, there are expectations for Support Workers / Aides.
General Pool Rules
- All patrons must take a cleansing shower before entering the pool area.
- All weak or non-swimmers must wear a PFD or stay shallow, where both feet can safely touch the bottom.
- Patrons must enter the main pool feet first, No Diving is permitted.
- Children under eight years must be accompanied by a responsible person (minimum 14 years of age). The responsible person must be in the water and within arm’s reach at all times. This includes while in the locker rooms, multipurpose spaces and pool.
- You must be a minimum of 8 years of age to participate in Lane swim. You also must be able to swim 25 meters continuously.
- No standing on tubes or any other floatation devices.
- Patrons are not allowed on top of other people’s shoulders.
- Roughhousing, horseplay or any other forms of physical contact is not allowed.
Breastfeeding is an acceptable practice in our facility (including swimming pool basins).
Fitness & yoga classes require an advance appointment
Reserve in advance online at Live & Play. Log in or create an account, select Drop-in activities, then locate your preferred activity and time to book. You can also reserve by phone at 403-268-3800 option #1, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Minimum age for fitness classes is 13 years. Special circumstances may be considered and must be arranged beforehand.
Latecomers to Classes
Our fitness classes are designed to include warm-up, workout and cool-down periods. You'll benefit most if you take part in each stage. Arriving late is disruptive to the structure and can negatively impact other participants.
You will not be permitted to join the following drop-in classes once they have begun:
- Mind-Body Flow
- Stretch & Restore
- Tethered Deep Water Workout
Use of cell phones, Personal Digital Assistants, cameras, and other recording devices is restricted in our facilities.
We monitor pool water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We use an automated system, as well as qualified staff a minimum of 4 times per day. A water sample is provided to Calgary Health Region once a week for testing. All facilities are cleaned and disinfected daily.
Youth access to weight rooms and strength training
Youth age 13 - 15 will be permitted in the weight room only after completing a Weight Room Orientation (registration fee applies). The orientation is required even if youth are accompanied by an adult.
Upon successful completion of the orientation, youth will be issued a Youth Strength Training card/sticker. It must be presented prior to admittance into the weight room.
Youth age 13 - 15 must also provide the Strength Training Waiver form signed by their parent/guardian.
To learn when the next Weight Room Orientation is offered, register in person on-site or call the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-3800, option #1.
External Swim Instruction
For the safety of all patrons, the City does not permit external swim instructors in our facilities. Teaching is restricted to the City's qualified and certified swimming instructors. Contact a staff member if you'd like to arrange for private instruction. Those suspected of providing swim instruction will be asked to stop.
The following behaviours are considered swimming instruction:
- Showing or explaining specific skills to others (either on the deck or in the water).
- Providing feedback and correction to others for a specific skill.
- Assisting a patron with technique.
- Writing and/or designing a lesson plan for others.
Use of snorkel equipment (goggles and snorkel) is allowed, pending Lifeguard approval and demonstrated proof of competency.
Full face snorkels are not permitted.
Personal inflatable toys
Personal inflatable toys are allowed in the facility if capacity permits. Baby water wings and tube rings on small children are permitted. However, they must be within arm’s reach of a responsible person (minimum 14 years of age).
The use of inflatables requires prior approval from the lifeguard. The lifeguard will consider how much activity is in the pool. Users may be tested on competence and expertise with inflatables. Lifeguards can refuse the use of equipment at any time.
Mermaid tails may be used with permission from the lifeguard. A competency test may be required prior to approval.
Swimming Alone/Arms Reach Age Policy
Children under eight years must be accompanied by a responsible person (minimum 14 years of age). The responsible person must be in the water and within arm’s reach of their ward while at our facility.
- All parents and guardians must be with the same basin, play structure or same area of the under 8.
- Children under 8 must go down the slides with a responsible person over the age of 14.
Swimwear guidelines for children under the age of three
All children 35 months and under must to wear plastic pants over their swim diapers. If you don’t have plastic pants, they can be purchased at the pool.
Non-Traditional Bathing Wear Policy
The City is committed to providing a safe welcoming environment. We want people from all ethnic and religious backgrounds to feel comfortable in and around the water. Our facility has adopted a non-traditional bathing wear policy as outlined below.
In addition to conventional swim wear, participants may wear:
- Long-sleeved pants and shirts, tee-shirts and shorts with undergarments or a swim suit worn underneath.
- Traditional ethnic clothing (e.g. saris and hijabs) with a swim suit or undergarments worn underneath.
For safety reasons, patrons wearing traditional garments (such as saris) are asked to remain in the shallow end of the pool. We ask that they not use the dive tank.
To ensure an environment that is safe and free from external contaminants, all participants are required to:
- Wear clothing that is different from the clothing worn to the facility.
- Take a complete and cleansing shower before entering the pool. Showering should occur while wearing the swim attire that will be worn in the water.