The Calgary Transit Work Permit is required to access Transit’s right-of-way for any purposes other than using Transit’s transportation services (for examples, refer to the ‘Examples of when a Transit Work Permit is required’ section below).

You will need a Calgary Transit Work Permit if the location of the activity you wish to perform is around Ctrain stations and tracks, or along certain parts of bus rapid transit routes and stops (e.g. MAX). This permit is required to ensure the safety of the general public, transit riders, transit operators, and your workers, ensuring no harm will come to Calgarians when the activity is being performed. It will also ensure Calgary’s roadways, as well as Transit vehicles and platforms, are kept intact. In addition, we check to ensure your planned activity will not impact train or bus movements or the Calgary Transit service schedule.

Contact or call 311 to discuss your project and the permit requirements. There is no cost to this Permit – we simply want to ensure the safety of all.

Note: A development permit does NOT include approval for work around Transit’s right-of-ways; you MUST apply for this Calgary Transit Work Permit separately in order to receive approval for this work.

Purpose of permit

A work permit is required to access Calgary Transit (CT) Right-of-ways (ROW) for any purpose other than using CT transportation services.

All planned work within a CT ROW requires a work permit.

Why do I need this permit?

CT work permit conditions are put in place to:

  • Communicate risks and requirements that are specific to doing work on or near the CT ROW
  • Ensure communication with LRT and Bus Control.
  • Ensure your own safety, the safety of workers, contractors, the public and Calgary Transit employees.
  • Limit disruptions to Calgary Transit service operations, timelines, including LRT and BRT schedules.
  • Protect Calgary Transit infrastructure.

Risks to workers may include but are not limited to:

  • Light rail vehicles or LRVs (trains and other on-rail equipment) or other Transit vehicles
  • High voltage power
  • Buried utilities

Call 311 to inquire or Email:

Locations that require a Transit Work Permit to be in place

Calgary Transit Right-of-Ways include all areas at ground level, above ground level, and below ground level.

LRT Right-of-Way (ROW):

Areas within or adjacent to the following:

  • Clearly defined boundaries such as fences or concrete barriers.
  • 7th Avenue corridor (Including private property where easily accessible by the public)
    • This includes all areas between face of buildings, sidewalks, platforms, pedestrian crosswalks, exteriors of all +15s.
  • Above or below tunnels, bridges, and guideways (i.e. Sunalta)

BRT Transitway:

  • Designated Transitway which are separated from regular traffic by curbs, landscaping or barriers and are for use by Transit vehicles only. 
  • BRT Stations, CT dedicated lanes, overlapping Intersections, and immediately adjacent paths or landscaping.

The SW BRT (14th Street) Transitway:

  • All roadways, infrastructure, and immediately adjacent areas, between Eagle Ridge Drive SW and Southland Dr. SW. 

The SE BRT (17th Avenue) Transitway:

  • Transit only marked roadways, infrastructure, and adjacent areas, between the intersection of 9th Ave SE and 16 St SE and the intersection of 17th Ave SE and Hubalta Rd SE. 

Examples of work activities where this permit is required

Activities may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Access to 7th Avenue or CT ROW (Calgary Transit Right-of-Way) for any reason other than as a pedestrian, an LRT passenger or to perform basic observation.
  • All construction activity which requires equipment or tools.
    • (examples: survey, building maintenance, window repairs, concrete repairs, road work, excavations, hoarding, or filming)
  • All vehicles are strictly prohibited on the Transit Right-of-Ways unless clearly outlined in an CT Work permit.

Things to consider before you apply

When you are submitting your request, consider the following items and include them in the request:

  • Scope of work,
  • distance from track and power lines,
  • location,
  • schedule,
  • personnel,
  • site access, and
  • equipment storage.

The application process

Contact 311 or email to start the application process.

Depending on the scope and size of your project, professional drawings may be required.

We will have a conversation about the work you are doing and its effect on safety, Transit operations, and infrastructure. We will then provide additional requirements and conditions as needed.

Be prepared to allow for 2 weeks minimum for work which has a minor impact on Calgary Transit operations.

Work that has the potential to present a major impact to safety, schedules or infrastructure may take up to 6 weeks for approval.

Required documents

Work which requires, hoarding, digging or modified public access will require professional approved drawings to be submitted.

Other City permits as required by work scope (i.e. Streets use or excavation permits)

Other documents may be required on a case by case evaluation of the scope of work.

If there is an emergency…

CT Work Permits are not issued for activity or work that must proceed immediately to manage a serious and immediate threat to safety, service or infrastructure. Urgent or emergent work is managed through close communication with the CT Control Centre, and CT supervisors should be present to ensure safety while the threat is mitigated.

Cost to getting this permit

There is no cost for a Calgary Transit Permit.

The permit process is complimentary and designed to ensure safe work practices and to keep Calgary transit operating efficiently.

Costs may be incurred for other city permits or CT flagging protection.

Other permits you may need

It is your responsibility to adhere to all policies, rules or bylaws pertaining to the proposed work or potential impacts to City infrastructure. Other City permits may be required, and are not managed through this Calgary Transit Work Permit process.

It is important to note that if you have a development permit, you will still need to apply for this Calgary Transit Work Permit as well.


Call 311 to inquire or email: