Construction zone safety
Summer is always a busy time for construction work, and we want to make sure everyone gets home at the end of the day. Remember to drive safe and stay in your lane as you go through work zones. Pay attention, slow down and always follow the posted speed signs, cones and barriers.
Our construction projects support important services you count on every. They are vital for maintaining and building our infrastructure to meet the growing needs of our city.
All rules and signs are in effect even when people and equipment are not present – these are there for your safety too as there could be hazards on the road.
- Obey speed limits in construction zones. Remember, fines for speeding in work zones are double.
- Obey all rules and signs even when people and equipment are not working – these are there for your safety and there may be danger present!
- Cooperate with other drivers to keep traffic moving smoothly. When traffic needs to merge because of a lane closure, ease into the driving lane early and leave gaps for other vehicles to merge.
- Always leave plenty of space between your vehicle and other people and equipment parked or being operated at these locations.
Tips for avoiding the delays of construction zones
Everyone hates delays. Here are some tips for helping you avoid them.
- Follow @yyctransport on Twitter for the most up-to-date traffic information, or visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo.
- Plan trips with the expectation that travel will take a few minutes longer during the summer construction season.
- Use alternate routes if you know the whereabouts of a construction zone, especially zones operating over a lengthy period of time. This will reduce traffic congestion and related risks.