Our traffic safety focus for the month of May is motorcycle safety.
Despite fewer vehicles on the roads over the past two years, we have seen an increase in fatal collisions involving motorcycles in Alberta. Drivers need to look out for motorcycles, especially when changing lanes.
Additional tips for vehicle drivers:
- Adhere to the rules of the road. Distracted driving can cause you to easily miss a motorcycle.
- Share the road – look twice for motorcyclists at intersections or when changing lanes.
- Never underestimate the speed of a motorcycle. Their size makes their speed deceptive, in turn making it more difficult for drivers to judge timing.
- Always check your blind spot before changing lanes.
Tips for motorcycle riders:
- Adhere to the rules of the road. Speeding makes it difficult for others to be aware of your presence and more likely to misjudge timing.
- Ride defensively. Stay out of blind spots and make every effort to enhance your visibility.
- Be alert at intersections. Make eye contact with other drivers/riders before proceeding.
- Protect yourself with the right gear and wear a certified motorcycle helmet, regardless of temperature or length of trip.
Consult the Calgary Traffic Tips booklet for the information you need to become a more knowledgeable, safe and confident driver in Calgary.
- Driving while impaired can result in criminal charges or even jail time. The Calgary Police Service enforces federal and provincial laws around impaired driving