Greenview Area Improvements Project
Work is expected to start the week of June 27*. The first sections of work will focus on the area along 40 Avenue N.E and 41 Avenue N.E. from Edmonton Trail N.E. to 1 Street N.E. to the replacements of selected deteriorated curbs and driveways are replaced ahead of scheduled road resurfacing and paving. Our colleagues in Calgary Roads expect to start paving the above mentioned stretches of 40 Avenue and 41 Avenue around mid-August 2022.
What to expect during construction:
- An increase in on-site construction activity, including construction crews, vehicles and heavy equipment.
- An increase in truck and equipment traffic accessing the construction site(s) and surrounding areas.
- Pathway and sidewalk closures and detours in the surrounding areas to ensure pedestrians and cyclists can travel safely through the area and still access their destinations.
- The temporary removal of some parking, road closures and potential road detours.
- An increase in noise and vibrations throughout construction.
- Material removal and delivery, as well as on-site flaggers to help direct traffic and pathway users.
- Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Weekends, weekdays, and overnight as required.
- *Please note: construction is variable, and the schedule is subject to change depending on factors such as complexity, weather, supply chain, and access.
We appreciate your patience while crews are working in your area. We know that construction impacts can be disruptive, and we will work to mitigate impacts as best that we can.
As part of the Greenview Area Improvements project, we are improving pedestrian safety, adding pathway and sidewalk connections, and creating an interim use pop-up community park in the adjacent community of Highland Park for everyone to enjoy.
This project is part of the Established Areas Growth and Change Strategy. It supports established communities where growth and change are happening. The Strategy recommends reinvestment that will support citizens and businesses in areas that are experiencing growth and change. Public realm improvement projects will improve or upgrade infrastructure within communities experiencing growth and change.
These improvements will encourage people to explore and spend time in the spaces within their communities and support continued reinvestment in communities.
Community engagement is complete and the designs for the area are underway. We are currently working on the final construction drawings. Once complete our team will hire a contractor to start construction. Timelines will be confirmed once the contractor is onboarded. We anticipate construction will start in summer 2022.
The below conceptual map reflects the missing sidewalks pathway improvements, and intersection crossing improvements planned for 2022 construction. The below map locations are under review as we determine the feasibility of each location based on cost and design constraints.
Click to enlarge image
Examples: Sidewalk & Adaptive Sidewalk configuration
- From 1 Street N.E. cul-de-sac to Laycock Drive N.E./1 Street N.E.
40 Avenue N.E. temporary park space
We are enhancing City vacant land at Centre Street N and 40 Avenue N.E. to create a pop-up park for interim use. This Park improvement will increase activity and create stronger community connections.
Popup park preferred concept design
Click to open image
A pop-up park involves activating a public space to build a park that the public can use for interim use. The benefits of a pop-up park include a convenient way to add parks to underutilized public spaces for everyone to enjoy.
The pop-up park being created at City vacant land at Centre Street N and 40 Avenue N.E. will be for interim (temporary) use. The long term vision of the Green Line LRT project is to go further north than the current stage one plan that stops at 16 Avenue N. Therefore, the park use will need to change when the Green Line LRT project is expanded further north. There is no set date for this work at this time.
A What We Heard report is available online. The results of the public feedback along with technical expertise will determine the final design for the pop-up park. To see more details of our engagement or to read the what we hear report check out our website at engage.calgary.ca/40AveNEPark.
- Community Engagement: Complete
- Preliminary & Detailed Designs: Spring 2022
- Hire contractor: Early Summer 2022
- Prepare the construction zone: Summer 2022
- Mobility and sidewalk construction: Summer – Winter 2022
- Construction Completion: Winter 2022
Sign up for our email updates to receive the most up-to-date information about the Greenview Area Improvement project.
- What We Heard Report - October 2021
- 40 Avenue N.E. Park & Area Improvements PPT Slides (used for both August 17 & 18, 2021 public sessions)
- Pop-Up Park Design Options PDF file
- Established Areas Growth and Change Strategy
- North Hill Communities Local Growth Planning
- Neighbourhood Streets - Northhill communities planning (calgary.ca)