Adaptive Roadways Program and related lane closures
To help provide Calgarians with the space needed to safely walk, run, skateboard and cycle during the COVID-19 pandemic, The City of Calgary has implemented an Adaptive Roadways Program (ARP).
Under the program, road lanes are closed to motor vehicle traffic so they can be used by people who are walking, running, cycling, rollerblading and the like. The large lanes allow users to spread out at a safe distance as recommended by health officials.
How locations are selected
The City considers locations if:
- The location is already experiencing high or elevated use (mostly along a parallel pathway or park)
- It is feasible to close a lane/road without introducing significant safety risks for all users
- Closing a lane/road will not negatively impact operating businesses, particularly with respect to pick-up or delivery services
- Transit can be maintained effectively
- It is sustainable and cost-effective to maintain
- It will allow at least 15 minutes of continuous walking to support physical health
Open 7 days/week
- 12 Street S.E. – Parking lane closed in the southbound direction between 8 Avenue S.E. and 21 Avenue S.E.
- Center Street Bridge Lower Deck – Full closure of Center Street Bridge Lower Deck between Riverfront Avenue S.E. and Memorial Drive N.W.
- Crescent Road N.W. – Parking lane closed in the eastbound direction between 7A Street N.W. and 1 St N.W.
- Elbow Drive S.W. – Northbound curb lane closed between 38 Avenue S.W. and 4 Street S.W. including the Mission Bridge.
- Memorial Drive N.W. – Two eastbound lanes will be closed between 9 Street N.W. and the Center Street Bridge Lower Deck.
Open weekends only
- 4 Avenue S.W. / Bow Trail Connector – Full closure between 11 Street S.W. and Pumphouse Road S.W. on weekends only.
Additional locations will be added to this webpage as new adaptive roads/lane closures are implemented over the spring and summer of 2021.
Please note: All lane closures are monitored with data collected on the use of each adaptive roadway as well as the impact it has on road travel conditions. Based on this data, The City may change the locations, timing and duration of the lane closures and/or the days of the week that they are in place.