Our traffic safety focus for the month of August is Distracted Driving.
Alberta's distracted driving law applies to all vehicles as defined by the Traffic Safety Act and all roads in Alberta. It restricts drivers from doing any of the following, even while stopped at red lights:
- using hand-held cell phones
- texting or e-mailing
- using electronic devices such as laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players
- entering information on GPS units
- reading printed materials in the vehicle
- writing, printing or sketching
- personal grooming such as brushing and flossing teeth, putting on makeup, curling hair, clipping nails or shaving
Drive safe and learn more by visiting the Government of Alberta's Safe Roads website.
Consult the Calgary Traffic Tips booklet for the information you need to become a more knowledgeable, safe and confident driver in Calgary.