Caution | State of Local Emergency declared

The City has declared a State of Local Emergency to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Wear a mask and get vaccinated.

COVID-19 Information Get vaccinated

Cross connections for testers

As a certified cross-connection tester, you have an important role in ensuring compliance with Calgary’s Water Utility Bylaw.

Whether it’s installing, replacing or repairing cross-connection devices, performing annual tests or submitting the reports, your efforts help protect Calgary’s drinking water system.

Testers now have a new online Service Request to access the City’s Cross Connection Control Team. Click here to submit your request online. 

Submitting test reports

We’re excited to be moving cross-connection reporting to an online platform in 2021.

Current process - New Process -

Fill out the test form and e-mail it to:

Ensure that the filename contains the service address of the device. We suggest that you request a "read receipt" from your e-mail to ensure that our department has received your report.

You can mail also mail the form to the following address:
The City of Calgary, Water Services
Cross Connection Control Program
P.O Box 2100
Station M, #435
Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2M5.

Starting October 1, 2021, test submissions can now be submitted through our new online platform. 


*All testers will be required to submit via the new online platform; email or mailed submissions of test reports will be not be accepted after April 1, 2022.


In addition to real-time submission of test reports to The City’s database, certified third-party testers will also have the ability to manage their account (registration and certification status), access previously submitted test reports, download accepted reports on behalf of customers, as well as complete equipment calibration. 


Testing companies are encouraged to sign up now!


  1. To begin the sign up process please email us. Once a City administrator adds you to the software system or SwiftComply, you will receive an invitation email.

    Note: Before we sign you up for Online Test Entry please submit the following requirements:
    - Latest copy AWWA Certificate
    - Cross Connection Control Application Tester Registration
    - A copy of the latest Certificate of Calibration

    For the Service Provider Company who would like to include their Administrative Staff to enter their reports on behalf of their certified testers please provide the following info: Full Name, Email and Phone Number.
  2. Initial sign up and log in instructions click here

Link to the webapp location if you already are enrolled:


Link to SwiftComply instructions click here: (


Tips and Troubleshooting PDF document click here.

As per The City’s Water Utility Bylaw:

  • Cross-connection devices must be registered and tested at installation.
  • Devices must also be tested at the time the device is cleaned, repaired, or replaced, and at least once per year.
  • Devices protecting irrigation systems are only required to be tested when the irrigation system is turned on for the season, if the system isn’t used the device does not need to be tested.
  • Failed cross connection devices must be repaired or replaced within 5 business days.

Where do I get testing and inspection reports and/or more red tags?

  • Access the report online: Testing and Inspection Report
  • Red tags can be picked up at the Water Centre.

How can I become a certified tester for The City?

Cross connection control testers are individuals certified by recognized institutions to test cross connection control devices and systems.

In order to test devices in the City of Calgary, you must:

  1. Have passed a cross connection control course in backflow preventer testing at an accredited college or institution and obtain a certification from a recognized institution.
  2. Become certified with the American Water Works Associationas a Cross Connection Control Specialist and possess a current American Water Works Association (AWWA) Backflow Tester’s Certificate from Western Canada Section (WCS) AWWA.
  3. Finally, you must register your certification by applying to The City of Calgary. To apply, complete the  Cross Connection Control Tester Application and forward. This must be done annually in order to remain in good standing and for testing to be accepted and processed.

When you apply to register your certification with the City, you will need the following:

  • A completed application form
  • A copy of your Cross- Connection Control Specialist Certificate
  • A current accuracy verification or calibration certificate for the test equipment you will be utilizing to test cross connection control devices

Does The City promote or recognize my company?

The City does not endorse or promote certified cross-connection testers, or any contractors for that matter. We do however add contact information of approved, certified testers to the Certified tester list.

How do I renew my registration?

Testers must renew their registration annually. In order to continue to test in Calgary, you must submit the application form above which demonstrates qualifications, and a current calibration certificate.

What happens if I fail to renew on time?

If you fail to renew, or if your qualifications have lapsed, you can no longer test in the city of Calgary and any test reports received will be returned to the owner of the property. Typically you will need to take a recertification course if your qualifications lapse.

For the testers that was not been tested within a year must need to go back to a training facility – recognized institution and do the 6 tests.

What if I have moved, or no longer work for the same company?

It is essential that you report any change of company, address or equipment to the Cross- Connection Control Department. To report a change in your information, please call 311.

Where can I get reference materials?

Listed below are the approved backflow devices:

  • Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Prevention Assembly (RP)
  • Double Check Valve Assembly (DCVA)
  • Pressure Vacuum Breaker Assembly (PVB)
  • Spill Resistant Vacuum Breaker Assembly (SRPVB)

For a current listing of certified backflow preventers, visit the Canadian Standards Association website.

See The City of Calgary Standard Specifications Waterworks Construction for specification drawings on servicing requirements for residential, commercial and industrial developments, water meter details, and cross connection control device details.

You can also find more information about cross connection control in our  Commercial/Industrial cross connections brochure.