Fats, oils and grease management
Stop and think! Not down the sink!
Cooking fats, oils and grease (FOG) cause problems if they are put down the drain.
- Clogged pipes
- Reduced plumbing flow
- Sewer backups
- Damage to Calgary's wastewater system
Keep these items out of your sinks, drains or toilets
- Fats: Butter, margarine, dairy, meat, etc.
- Oils: Salad dressings, cooking or deep fryer oils, olive oil, sauces, etc.
- Grease: Chicken, hamburgers, bacon, etc.
How to put fats, oils and grease into your green cart
Keep fats, oils and grease out of your drain by following these easy tips in the kitchen.
- Residential amounts (two litres or less) of fats, oils and grease should be put in the green cart for composting.
- Always wipe cooking equipment and scrape dishes before washing.
- Solidify your oil by mixing it with paper towels, then place it in a certified compostable bag or paper bag and place it in your green cart.
Fats, oils and grease - Report to Calgarians
What Goes Where
To learn more about disposing of fats, oils and grease, visit What Goes Where - Cooking Oil and Grease.
You are required to safely dispose of commercial quantities of fats, oils and grease.