Fats, oils and grease management
Stop and think! Not down the sink!
Cooking fats, oils and grease (FOG) cause problems if they are put down the drain.
- Clogged pipes
- Reduced plumbing flow
- Sewer backups
- Damage to Calgary's wastewater system
Keep these items out of your sinks, drains or toilets
- Fats: Butter, margarine, dairy, meat, etc.
- Oils: Salad dressings, cooking or deep fryer oils, olive oil, sauces, etc.
- Grease: Chicken, hamburgers, bacon, etc.
How to put fats, oils and grease into your green cart
Keep fats, oils and grease out of your drain by following these easy tips in the kitchen.
- Residential amounts (two litres or less) of fats, oils and grease should be put in the green cart for composting.
- Always wipe cooking equipment and scrape dishes before washing.
- Solidify your oil by mixing it with paper towels, then place it in a certified compostable bag or paper bag and place it in your green cart.
Watch this short video for tips on keeping FOG out of your wastewater system, avoiding blockages and potential fines as well as tips on maintaining your grease interceptor.
What Goes Where
To learn more about disposing of fats, oils and grease, visit What Goes Where - Cooking Oil and Grease.
You are required to safely dispose of commercial quantities of fats, oils and grease.