Share this page Print

Water construction, repair or project inquiries

Looking for more information about a construction project, repair, improvement or service being done by The City of Calgary Water Services? Below you will find details and links to resources for the following types of work we perform or notices we send out:

Water projects, construction or repairs

Water customer notices

Water outages, water main and pipe breaks

We continually perform repairs and upgrades to Calgary's water, sewer and stormwater systems. To see the latest water outage alerts, visit Water Main and Water Pipe Breaks.

This page also contains information on what causes leaks and breaks, as well as, what to do when a break occurs in your community. For information about what temporary water services we provide during a break, visit Water Wagons.

Water construction notices

When working on construction activities, we do our best to notify citizens. However, in some situations we may not be able to provide the exact details or timeframes of the repair. If you were not notified of a service interruption, it may be because:

  • We are fixing a large/potentially damaging leak that required immediate work
  • We are working in the late evening/early morning and did not want to disturb you
  • Nobody was home - in these cases, we try to leave a notice with you

If we are working in your community and you would like to know more information, please call 311.

If property rehabilitation services are required after our construction work is complete, we will leave a notification. Learn more by visiting Water Construction Property Rehab.

Contractor construction notice

Some water construction projects are done by external contractors. In these situations, you may receive a notice letter from our contractor with a City of Calgary logo on top.

In most cases, our contractor will leave their direct contact information on the notice in case you have any questions about the work they are doing. If you have any questions and a number is not available, please complete an online service request or call 311.

Road closures related to water projects

If you would like to know about residential road closures due to water construction or other activities, please visit our Calgary Traffic Report page.

You can also find information about other ongoing water capital projects, including projects being managed by our contractors, on our Water Construction and Upgrades page.

Construction equipment for water projects

When working on construction projects, Water Services uses a variety of equipment, which to save time and money, is stored on site while the work is performed.

If you have any questions about the equipment being used, where it is placed, or if a piece of equipment has been left behind, please visit Water Construction Equipment Pickup.

Temporary water line customer notice

For water main replacements we may be required to set up a temporary water line to a citizen's house. If you are not at home, we will leave a notice letting you know that our crews have arrived to hook up a temporary water service line to your house.

If you have any questions about how a temporary water line works, when it is used and how it impacts you, please visit Temporary Water Lines.

Water construction markings on ground

Utility Markings Example
Example of utility markings on the ground

If you see markings on the ground and want to know what utility they are for, please visit Alberta One Call or call 1-800-242-3447. They will be able to advise you which utility is planning work at that location.

You can also learn more about the markings by visiting Alberta One Call's marking colour code explanations.

Water system repairs and improvements

If you are looking for information on water, sewer or stormwater line size (diameter), age, construction materials or failure history, please contact 311.

Please note: When requesting historical reports on The City of Calgary water system, a Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy request is required.

The exception to this requirement is in situations where the sewer system is in close proximity to a property owner's residence, and they require information for construction and/or renovation for private use. For more details visit Water and Sewer Connections.

Valve requests and repairs

For more information about service valves including City and homeowner responsibilties, service valve repairs, service valve adjustments or driveway pouring requirements, please visit our Service Valves in Calgary page.

Frozen water line letter

If your water services are at risk of freezing in the winter, you may receive a written notice from the City with steps to take to prevent freezing.

To learn more about how to prevent freezing, as well as, what to do when you receive a notice, and what to do if your pipes are already frozen, visit Frozen Pipes Prevention Program.