2022 Accessibility Awards
The Advisory Committee on Accessibility (ACA) celebrates and recognizes Calgarians who are improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities through the ACA Annual Awards program.
The ACA sponsors these awards to raise awareness about the importance of accessibility and universal design. The accomplishments of these individuals, groups and organizations are cause for celebration.
Annual Accessibility Awards
Nominations for the 2022 Accessibility Awards are now closed. Winners will be notified by November 30, 2022. The awards presentation is scheduled for December 6, 2022.
The Advocacy Award
The Advocacy Award recognizes an individual or group of people who have improved the quality of life for persons with disabilities and are advancing accessibility in Calgary.
- Describe how a Calgarian or group within Calgary has improved services for persons with disabilities and how these services have improved quality of life.
- Describe the personal contributions the nominee has made to create positive change through social action.
- Demonstrate how the nominee has worked with others to create change.
The Universal Design Award
The Universal Design Award acknowledges how an individual or group – using universal design principles – has improved access for persons with disabilities in Calgary. This award covers improved access to the physical environment, technology, or products.
- Agencies or organizations (individuals or groups).
- Public or private initiatives.
- Projects located and/or created in Calgary.
- Newly constructed or renovated projects.
- Projects must be completed.
- Demonstrate how the initiative accommodates the needs of persons with vision, mobility, hearing or cognitive disabilities, paying close attention to function and improved accessibility.
- Demonstrate how the project exceeds Alberta Building Code (3.8) standards for accessibility, when applicable.
- Demonstrate how accessibility and universal design features are integrated with overall project design.
- Demonstrate how the initiative achieved an inclusive experience for users.
- Demonstrate how the project improved users’ quality of life.