Plus 15 Accessibility Improvement Project
Project update – June 5, 2023
The majority of construction is now complete, with minor construction activities wrapping up.
The Plus 15 bridge from Fifth Avenue Place to Bow Valley Square is now open.
We thank all Plus 15 users and tenants for their patience as we complete these important improvements to make our Plus 15 network more accessible for all Calgarians.
Following the completion of the 2019 Plus 15 Network study, recommendations were made to improve accessibility in Calgary’s Plus 15 Network. The goal of this project is to improve the Plus 15 network experience for all Calgarians. Upgrades to 26 Plus 15 bridge structures took place from Summer 2022 to Winter 2023.
Many of these Plus 15 bridges were built in the 1970s and 1980s and required improvements to bring them up to modern-day accessibility standards. The major accessibility upgrades included:
- Replacing flooring with stable hard surface, color-contrasting flooring, and tactile indicators;
- Incorporation of continuous graspable handrails;
- Installation of automated doors;
- Removal of barriers such as stairs; and
- Construction or modification of several ramps.
- City Hall to Calgary Police Services (CPS)
- Bankers Hall to Gulf Square
- 817 7 Avenue S.W. to 801 7 Avenue S.W.
- AMEC Place to Nexen to Life Plaza
- 801 7 Avenue to Petro Fina
- Shell Centre to Westin Hotel
- Fifth Avenue Place to Bow Valley Square
- Centennial Parkade
- First Canadian Centre to CORE
- Fifth & Fifth to Five Ten Fifth
- Petro Fina to Western Canadian Place
- Metropolitan Conference Centre to 333 5 Avenue S.W.
- Municipal Building to Arts Commons
- HSBC to Bankers Hall
- James Short Parkade to Sunlife Plaza
- Watermark Tower to Eight Avenue Place
- Encore Place to 707 7 Avenue S.W.
- Calgary Courts Centre to Encore Place
- Fifth Avenue Place to International Hotel
- James Short to Trans Canada Tower link
- Bow Valley North to South
- Western Canadian
- City Centre Parkade
The budget for this project was $3.75 million.
Where can I find more information about The City’s Plus 15 Network?
Calgary's Plus 15 network is an important piece of infrastructure in our downtown core. Calgary has 86 Plus 15 bridges spread throughout the core, with most connecting two or more buildings. For more information visit Calgary.ca/Plus15