Business Improvement Areas
- Enhance the economic development of an area through promotion and marketing.
- Improve the physical environment of public spaces in commercial areas.
- Develop, improve and maintain public parking.
- Work collaboratively with The City in delivery of municipal services in their zones.
- Advocate for policies and practices that support economic vitality in their zones.
- Calgary's 15 BIA's made an initial streetscape improvement investment through a local improvement bylaw.
- After the initial capital investment, BIA's invest annually in promotion, special events, street maintenance and improvements.
Economic & social value
- BIAs play a lead role in area revitalization and work with their communities on public safety and crime prevention efforts.
- Helped create some of Calgary's best known and most loved neighbourhoods.
- People living in and visiting Calgary identify with and value these areas as special and unique - each BIA gives Calgary a distinctive, appealing character.
- BIAs offer an international array of exotic and unusual shops, food stores, restaurants, and coffee shops.
- BIAs collaborate with The City regarding operational issues in the community (parks, land use, urban design, redevelopment, physical improvements, public safety, maintenance, traffic, parking, etc.).
- BIAs provide input on policies to support economic health.
Economic value of businesses in Calgary's BIAs
- With over 6,000 businesses represented, businesses in BIAs comprise about 20 per cent of all Calgary businesses.
- Businesses in BIAs account for over $670 million in assessed property and business value.
- Businesses in BIAs account for 220+ city blocks of businesses.