If you are passionate about serving your community and are looking for a fast-paced and rewarding career, we encourage you to learn more about becoming an Emergency Communications Officer (ECO) with Calgary 911. This webpage is a great resource to help you decide if this is the career for you and to assist you through the application and selection process.
Prerequisites and qualifications
You must have the following minimum qualifications on the date you submit your application:
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or Canadian equivalent (e.g., GED, IQAS approved equivalency, etc) is required.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in a customer service environment.
- A minimum typing speed of 40 words per minute is mandatory.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Related volunteer and life experience is preferred.
- Post secondary education is preferred.
- Fluency in a second language is considered an asset.
- Applicants who advance in the recruitment process are required to undergo an enhanced security clearance and polygraph exam. To be successful at the security phase, applicants must be three years clear of any detected or undetected illegal activity, and must not have any major criminal offences in their background. Applicants will be asked to submit a completed personal disclosure form, which will query their participation in criminal activity.
The Emergency Communications Officer role is not for everyone. To assist you in determining if this position may be right for you please complete this self evaluation questionnaire.
Due to the nature of the Emergency Communications Officer position, an extensive and lengthy selection process exists. In submitting an application, you can expect the following steps to take place:
- Initial screening is completed based on the resume and answers to the on-line questionnaire. Only applicants being considered further will be contacted.
- Aptitude testing is conducted to test typing speed, transcription, map-reading, and multi-tasking skills as well as general knowledge of roads and landmarks within the City of Calgary.
- Panel interview is conducted using a structured behavioural based interview. Job interview preparation (calgary.ca).
- Enhanced security clearance is conducted by the Calgary Police Service.
- Pre-employment polygraph exam is conducted. Candidates must be free of any criminal activity for a minimum of three years prior to application.
- Reference checks
- A selection panel reviews all successful applications to determine the best suited candidates for Calgary 9-1-1.