311 Calgary FAQ

  1. What is a 311 Service Request?
    A 311 Service Request is a file generated from the 311 system to track a request from the public for a City of Calgary information or service.

  2. What is 311?
    311 is The City of Calgary’s Citizen Services division. If you are looking for specific City of Calgary services or information, you can connect with us anytime, anywhere via the 311 Calgary mobile app, Calgary.ca/311Online website or by calling 311. If you call us, our agents can assist you with your questions and/or requests. They can either provide you an answer on the spot using our 311 knowledge base system or direct your request to the appropriate department for followup.

  3. Who can contact 311?
    Anyone within the Calgary city limits can call, but cellular airtime charges may apply. If you are calling from outside Calgary you can reach us by dialing 403.268.CITY (2489) or simply go to Calgary.ca/311Online to report a service request via the web.
    You may also submit your request using our 311 Calgary mobile app.

  4. What are the hours of operation?
    The 311 Operations Centre is open 24 hours a day every day of the year. You can also submit a service request via our mobile app or our Calgary.ca/311Online website anytime, anywhere.

  5. If the 311 Operation Centre is open 24 hours, does it mean that all City offices are available 24 hours a day too?
    City offices are not open 24 hours a day, however, 311 Calgary is your 24 hour connection for City services and information. It allows you to initiate requests 24 hours a day whether you are on the phone, using the 311 Calgary mobile app or submitting your request online. The type and priority of the requested service will determine the response.

  6. Can I call 311 even if I’m outside of the city?
    Yes. If you are outside Calgary city limits, please call 403.268.CITY (2489).

  7. What is the difference between 311 and 911?
    In case of police, fire or medical emergency, always call 911. For questions or concerns related to City of Calgary services, connect with 311 via our 311 Calgary mobile app, Calgary.ca/311Online website or by calling 311.

  8. What is the difference between 311 and 211?
    311 provides information and initiates requests for most City services. 211 can provide information about human services from any level of government and other service providers.

  9. Does 311 Calgary offer service in other languages?
    Yes, our 311 telephone agents have access to a language translation service that can assist citizens with requesting City of Calgary information or services. This translation service provides support in more than 200 languages.

  10. Does 311 Calgary offer service for the deaf?
    Yes. If you require TTY services, please call 268.4TTY (4889).

  11. What types of services can I request via 311?
    You can request most City services by calling 311. You can also find a wide range of services using our 311 Calgary mobile app or the Calgary.ca/311Online website. Whether you choose to connect with us via our mobile app, website or 311 Call Centre, you can use the service request you received to track the status of your request.

    If you are inquiring about Calgary Transit, you can call 403.262.1000 or visit the Calgary Transit website. 

    If you are inquiring about parking in Calgary, call Calgary Parking Authority at 403.537.7000 (enforcement inquiries or to report an illegally parked vehicle) or visit the Calgary Parking Authority website.

  12. Do I have to provide my personal information to submit a service request via the mobile app, the website or by calling 311?
    Depending on the concern, some City of Calgary services may require your name and contact information in order to initiate the request. The 311 Calgary mobile app allows anonymous submissions; however, if contact information is not provided, it may limit the department’s ability to effectively respond to your request (example: to obtain more detail if required to fulfill the request). If you provide your email address at time of submission you will also receive an email from 311 including your service request number. You can use this number to check the status of your request.
    Please note that you can check the status of your request using the service request  number via Calgary.ca/311Online website or by calling 311. If you are checking the status of your request via our mobile app, please refer to the ‘Recent’ or your submitted service requests field on the app.

  13. How do I follow up on my service request?
    Whether you choose to submit a service request via the mobile app, our website or by calling 311, you will be given a service request number. Use this to track the status of your request by checking on your submitted service requests via the 311 Calgary mobile app, online or by calling 311.

  14. Who do I call if I have a complaint about the service I received?
    You can call 311 directly to provide positive or constructive feedback about a City service that was performed. 311 agents will create a record to report it to the responsible department for review and action.

  15. Why can’t I call into the departments directly?
    311 Calgary is your access to City services and information anytime, anywhere. Most departments use 311 to provide information and services. If the request cannot be satisfied over the telephone, 311 will send the request to specific work groups for a response. You will receive a service request number. You can use this number to track the status of your request. City departments can also generate reports to analyze the volume of requests and response times and make citizen focused improvements to information or processes for their areas.

  16. What happens if I forgot my service request number?
    An agent may be able to assist with the concern if you can provide the location of the issue or provide your personal information to look up the service request. Depending on the nature of the concern, some services may require your personal information to be validated before updates can be provided over the phone.

  17. What are the statuses of a service request? What do they mean?
    There are three describing your service requests.
    • Submitted’ means your request has been sent to The City of Calgary, but a service request number is yet to be generated.
    • Opened’ means your service request has been received and assigned to the appropriate City department for review and action. You will also receive the service request number you need to track the status of your request.
    • Closed’ means that 311 transferred your request to the appropriate department for action. The City department employees have investigated the issue and identified steps to resolve your request. The issue may be placed on a list for future repairs when work crews and equipment are available. Also, please note that weather conditions may affect response time.

You may also find the frequently asked questions (FAQ) for the 311 Calgary mobile app​ helpful.