Becoming a Transportation Network Company driver
How to Apply for a Transportation Network Driver’s Licence
To legally drive for a Transportation Network Company (TNC) in Calgary, you must be affiliated with a company and hold a valid Transportation Network Driver’s Licence (TNDL).
In order to become a licensed TNC driver, you must meet the following criteria:
- Provide proof of affiliation/registration with a City-licensed TNC;
- Provide a police information check, with vulnerable sector check (for new applications), dated no older than 60 days. To obtain the police check, you may attend in person at any Calgary Police district office or apply on-line (ePIC) click here for details. If you live outside Calgary you must attend your local police jurisdiction to complete the check;
- Provide a valid Alberta driver’s licence Class 1, 2 or 4, in good standing with no more than 9 demerit points;
- Provide proof of status to legally work in Canada. Proof of status includes: Canadian birth certificate, Canadian citizenship card, permanent resident's card or current work permit;
- Provide a valid vehicle registration, including a letter of authorization if applicant is not the registered owner of the vehicle;
- Provide valid vehicle insurance confirming proper commercial insurance;
- Provide proof of a Government of Alberta Motor Vehicle Record of Inspection, or an Enhanced Livery Vehicle Inspection Standards dated within 30 days of application.
- Successfully complete the Livery Driver Training Program which may be completed online or by attending a two-day class. This program focuses on passengers with disabilities, cultural diversity, driver safety/enforcement and bylaw information.
As some TNCs submit documents directly (via an electronic data submission process) to Livery Transport Services on behalf of their drivers, please confirm with your company as to the application process.
Once all the required information has been verified, depending on the payment fee option selected by the Transportation Network Company, you may need to pay a $219 licensing fee to Livery Transport Services.