Becoming a Transportation Network Company driver
How to Apply for a Transportation Network Driver’s Licence
To legally drive for a Transportation Network Company (TNC) in Calgary, you must be affiliated with a company and hold a valid Transportation Network Driver’s Licence (TNDL).
Confirm the application process with your TNC, as some TNCs submit documents directly (via an electronic data submission process) to the Vehicle for Hire office on behalf of their drivers.
In order to become a licensed TNC driver, you must meet the following criteria:
- Provide proof of affiliation/registration with a City-licensed TNC
- Provide a police information check, with vulnerable sector check (for new applications), dated no older than 60 days. To obtain the police check, you may attend in person at any Calgary Police district office or apply on-line (ePIC) click here for details. If you live outside Calgary you must attend your local police jurisdiction to complete the check
- Provide a valid Alberta driver’s licence Class 1, 2 or 4, in good standing with no more than nine (9) demerit points
- Provide proof of status to legally work in Canada. Proof of status includes: Canadian birth certificate, Canadian citizenship card, permanent resident's card, current work permit, or current Canadian passport
- Provide a valid vehicle registration, including a letter of authorization if applicant is not the registered owner of the vehicle
- Provide valid vehicle insurance confirming proper commercial insurance (if applicable)
- Provide proof of a Government of Alberta Motor Vehicle Record of Inspection, or an Enhanced Livery Vehicle Inspection Standards dated within 30 days of application
- Complete and pass (minimum 80 per cent) the Livery Driver Training Program which may be completed online or by attending a two-day class. (Currently in-person training is suspended, check back for further updates). The program focuses on passengers with disabilities, cultural diversity, driver safety/enforcement and bylaw information. One rewrite is a permitted. Access to the online training is provided during the application process.
Transportation Network Companies in Calgary
|Transportation Network Companies (As of May 08, 2023)|
- 2-day classroom Livery Driver Training Program: $310
Online Livery Driver Training Program: $95
- First license fee: $219
- Calgary Police Service Information Check: $55
Non-refundable payments are required for police checks, training and licenses.
Once all the required information has been verified, depending on the payment fee option selected by the Transportation Network Company, you may need to pay a $219 licensing fee to Livery Transport Services.
All successful applicants will receive a letter confirming they are licensed as a Transportation Network Company driver.