2019 Accessibility Awards
The Advisory Committee on Accessibility (ACA) celebrates and recognizes Calgarians who are improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities through the ACA Annual Awards program.
The ACA sponsors these awards to raise awareness about the importance of accessibility and universal design. The accomplishments of these individuals, groups and organizations are cause for celebration.
Annual Accessibility Awards
NominationsTo submit a nomination for the Accessibility Awards, please contact Leanne Squair at:
Phone: 403-268-1352, TTY 403-268-1379
The Advocacy Award
The Advocacy Award recognizes an individual or group of people who have improved the quality of life for persons with disabilities and are progressing accessible opportunities in Calgary.
- Describe how a Calgarian or group within Calgary has improved services for persons with disabilities and how these services have improved quality of life.
- Describe the personal contributions the nominee has made to evoke positive change through social action.
- Demonstrate how the nominee has worked with others to evoke change.
The Access Recognition Award
The Access Recognition Award acknowledges how an individual or group – through the use of universal design principles – has improved access for persons with disabilities in Calgary. This award covers improved access to the physical environment, technology or products.
- Agencies or organizations (individuals or groups).
- Public or private initiatives
- Projects located and/or created in Calgary
- Newly constructed or renovated projects
- Projects must be completed
- Demonstrate how the initiative accommodates the needs of persons with vision, mobility, hearing or cognitive disabilities, paying close attention to function and improved accessibility
- Demonstrate how the project exceeds Alberta Building Code (3.8) standards for accessibility, when applicable
- Demonstrate how accessibility and universal design features are integrated with overall project design
- Demonstrate how the initiative achieved an inclusive experience for users
- Demonstrate how the project improved users’ quality of life
The Transportation Opportunities Award
The Transportation Opportunities Award celebrates an individual or group that emphasizes making transportation more inclusive in our community. This award was created in memory of Ella Anderson, who served on the Advisory Committee on Accessibility with grace, style and commitment to people with disabilities.
- Organizations or agencies, public or private (individuals or groups).
- Projects that directly affect improve transportation in our city to be more inclusive to all people in our community.
- Programs or projects that positively impact transportation for all Calgarians
- Demonstrate how this individual or group has gone above and beyond to complete a project.
- Describe how a positive attitude and strong sense of team work helped drive this project to completion.