A lockbox provides emergency responders quick access to a building. They must contain all keys or devices required to access the building and the Fire/Life safety systems. All keys and devices must be attached to a key ring and their use indicated by an attached tag. Lockboxes need to be installed on the exterior wall of the building within close proximity to the principal entrance.
Changes required for lockbox lids
Lockbox lids must be replaced with Bluetooth SMART lids to work with a new eKEY. Building owners/property managers must contact their lockbox company to make this change immediately. (Note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the original deadline of June 15, 2020 was extended to October 15, 2020) As this date has passed anyone who has not yet made this change is non-compliance which could result in delayed Fire response, fines and/or jail time.
Types of lockboxes
All buildings that require a lockbox must install a TRACCESS Smart Vault.
This City of Calgary-approved box provides increased security and other benefits.
A lockbox needs to be installed on a building with any of the following:
- A fire alarm system where
- it's control features, including emergency voice communication systems, are located behind a locked pane.
- manually operated devices require a key or device to be reset.
- the electrical circuit breaker is located within a locked panel or room.
- An automatic sprinkler system where the main control valve is locked in the open position or if it's located within a locked room or enclosure.
- Standpipe and water supply connections are in a locked room or area such as a roof
- A key operated elevator control feature that permits exclusive use of elevators to fire fighting personnel or that will switch selected elevators to operate on emergency power.
- Stairway doors that have been locked on the stairway side.
- Roof access doors that are locked.
Approved lockbox service companies
If you experience problems with your lockbox or its installation, contact the lockbox company who has been contracted for its maintenance.
Ability Lock & Safe Co.
#1, 5301 - 21A Ave. S.E.
ABOE Lockworks Ltd.
1308 Centre St. N.E.
Always Affordable Locksmiths Ltd.
1437 Kensington Rd. N.W.
Aura Lock & Key
675 Marian Cr. N.E.
High Security Lock Company
217 - 4 St. N.E.
Parry Bros. Lock and Safe
1318 11 Ave. S.W.
The Ten Penny Company
PO Box 55209 Temple RPO
Calgary, Alberta T1Y 6R6