Parks planning, management and operations
The City is responsible for planning, managing and operating over 5,600 parks and open spaces and over 1,000 km of pathways throughout Calgary. We believe that green spaces are an essential part of our City's landscape and we're strongly committed to providing Calgarians with healthy, vibrant and sustainable green spaces.
What we do
Parks is responsible for:
- Managing Calgary's pathway system and urban forests,
- Maintaining healthy ecosystems through pest control, irrigation and natural area management,
- Providing cemeteries and grounds for burial
- Planning usages of land and natural area
- Educating the public and providing programs for citizens
- Maintaining our green spaces and park amenities.
We take our role as planner, protector, facilitator, educator and provider of parks and open spaces seriously.
The Open Space Plan outlines the management of Parks through specific policies, plans and procedures in land use, such as theOpen Space Policy. It provides broad direction for day-to-day procedures, as well as direction for decision-making on community plans, area redevelopment plans and development proposals.
Want to know more about what we do? Contact Parks.