Citizen owned trees
Did you know that the majority of trees in Calgary are located on private property? Trees not only enhance the look of your home and property, they also provide economic, social and environmental benefits for your family, neighbours and community. Learn how you can help enhance our urban forest starting in your own yard. Also, learn about the top tree species for Calgary's unique growing climate.
Tips for fall tree care
- Watering - Trees lose water in the winter. Calgary’s chinook climate make this especially severe. To protect your trees you should continue watering as long as temperatures remain mild. Before deep frost occurs, do a heavy “get set up for winter” watering. Double your usual application, then leave them alone. This will prepare your trees for dormancy in winter. See our Watering 101 Homeowners guide for more information.
- Pruning – Backyard tree pruning tips
- remove damaged, diseased or dead branches (remember elm trees can only be pruned from Oct 1- March 31 in order to keep Alberta Dutch elm disease free)
- maintain shape and structure
- keep trees on your own property
- Planting – fall is a great time to plant trees. It allows the tree to build roots prior to having to grow leaves. Learn more about planting trees and shrubs
We want to help Calgarians to plant new trees, while caring for the ones we already have. Try one of our eLearning modules that offer basic tree-care information: learn at your own pace, when convenient, for absolutely no cost or download quick reference guides for the learning modules.
Tree maintenace tips
- Fall and winter tree care tips from our experts
- Why hire an arborist? - professional help to keep your trees happy and healthy.
- Protecting your trees in winter - tips on keeping your trees healthy and happy over winter.
- Tree pest information - common pests and diseases that can occur in Calgary's trees.
- Summer water conservation tips - watch the video
Tree planting tips
- Planting trees and shrubs - tips on planting in your yard.
Bylaws: What you need to know
Quick reference guide
- Tree Pests, Diseases and Storm Damage:
- Your tree, year round:
- Right tree, right location:
- Bylaws and tree protection:
- Water Your Tree 101 - Bought a new tree? Start here.
Planning a fire pit or campfire? Burn it where you buy it: protect YYC's trees from pest & disease.