Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

Development and Building Professionals Hub

This information pertains to existing buildings or buildings that are under construction, when applying for separately titled dwelling units, commercial units or parking stalls.

There’s an easier way to find planning information.

We’ve curated the best development and building information from The City and put it one place.

Visit the Development and Building Professionals Hub today

Step 1: Review the rules and fees for your project

When can you apply?

You can apply at the building's framing stage or later.

With new construction buildings, the development permit should be released, the building permit should be issued, and the building should be at the framing stage. Receipt of the development completion permit confirms your project conforms with approvals.

With existing buildings, you can apply anytime. If the building is complete for more than two years, we will conduct an inspection to determine if there are any non-conformance issues. If there are, we will provide a report advising how the issues can be resolved. If the building is over 10 years old, we will determine the requirements for an occupancy permit. An occupancy permit is required under Section 12(6) of the Province of Alberta Condominium Property Act​.


​Use ​Application fee
Use: ​Condominium application Application fee: ​$40 per unit
Use the Planning Application Fee Calculator to estimate your fee.​

See the planning application fee schedule​ for a complete list of planning application fees.

Step 2: Prepare your application

Step 3: Apply

Apply online​​

In order to get started, create a myID account.

​​​​Create a myID account​​

Businesses can register for a myID business account. A business account is intended for myID services to be submitted on behalf of a business or organization. Please follow the steps outlined on the myID business account page.

In person
Once you have gathered all required documents, you can apply for your permit in person by visiting the Planning Services Centre

After you apply

  • The application will be reviewed, circulated, and then forwarded to the Development Authority for approval.
  • The Development Authority approves and forwards the application to the City Clerks department for endorsement. This is the final step in the municipal process, where we finalize the Certificate of Municipal Authority.
  • We will notify the applicant that the application is complete, and is ready to be registered with Alberta Land Titles.
  • An address list is forwarded to our addressing department, and Alberta Land Titles forwards a copy of the approved plan to our Infrastructure and Information Services department so it can be added to the corporate database.

Step 4: Inspections and managing your permit application

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at

Click before you dig

Always contact Utility Safety Partners before you dig. Submit a locate request online or call 1-800-242-3447 for more information.