Digital permit application criteria
Criteria for uploading plans and documents to Planning and Development online applications
This information is for all permit applicants applying online, excluding ePermit applications. The plans and documents that you upload must meet The City’s digital file criteria to facilitate quicker application review and approval.
To find out how to begin an application, review the following information:
- Home improvement projects
- Commercial, industrial and multi-residential
- Signs and antennas
Your plans will need to be saved and uploaded in the following categories. Refer back to your specific checklist to confirm which plans are required, and the required details on each plan.
The online system will identify most of the plans that are needed for your application. If your checklist indicates an additional plan is required, please upload it using the Additional Optional Document button. See the chart below for the types of drawings to include together as one file that will be uploaded as a set of plans during the online application.
|Set of plans||Types of drawings to include as one file|
|Set of plans: Plans - Architectural||Types of drawings to include as one file: Site plan, floor plans, elevations, cross section|
|Set of plans: Plans - Site (optional)||Types of drawings to include as one file: Site plan|
|Set of plans: Plans - Electrical||Types of drawings to include as one file: Electrical layout|
|Set of plans: Plans - Mechanical||Types of drawings to include as one file: Mechanical layout|
|Set of plans: Plans - Plumbing and gas||Types of drawings to include as one file: Plumbing and gas layout|
|Set of plans: Plans - Structural||Types of drawings to include as one file: Wall details, foundation plans, floor and roof framing layouts|
Supporting documents will need to be uploaded individually. Refer to your specific checklist to see which documents are required for your application, and the details that must be included.
The online system will identify most of the supporting documents that are needed for your application. If your checklist indicates an additional document is required, click the Additional Optional Document button to upload. Examples include:
- Asbestos Abatement Form
- Sustainable Development Inventory Form
- NECB Project Summary Form OR ABC 2014 Section 9.36 (Energy Efficiency)
- Mechanical Site Circulation Slip/Record of DSSP submission, or an email from DSS stating review is not required.
- Request for Specific Variance Form
- Soils Report
- Proof of registration from Alberta’s New Home Buyer Protection Program
- Public Protection Site Safety Plan
- Advanced Weather Forecasting System
- Certificate of Title(s)
- Abandoned Well Declaration form
- Color Photographs
- Letter of Authorization
- Public Tree Disclosure Statement
- Planning Rationale
Acceptable file formats and size
- Acceptable file types: unlocked .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff or .txt.
- Maximum document size: 1 GB
If a file is too large, you may have to remove pages or information that should be included in another document type. You could also remove color photographs or three- dimensional renderings that are not a requirement on your checklist.
- Flattening plans to a single layer is preferred
- The top right corner of all drawings should be reserved for The City of Calgary’s electronic approval stamps. Please leave the top right corner blank on all drawings (with the exception of the border) and supporting documents.
Planning Services Centre
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Live chat: calgary.ca/livechat
Web: Planning Services Centre
Development Approvals Review Team
Find Development Approvals Review Team staff to contact about specific applications.