Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 1 Outdoor Water Restrictions are in effect. Learn more about what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

Home Energy Label Program – New Home Pilot

What is the Home Energy Label Program – New Home Pilot?

The Home Energy Label Program - New Home Pilot is accepting applicants. Participating builders or owners can receive a $250 rebate per energy label up to a maximum of $7,500 per applicant during the program.

Starting September 13, 2023 until December 31, 2024, the City is offering a voluntary pilot program that builders can opt into through the building permit application process and receive a $250 rebate for each EnerGuide label up to a maximum of $7,500 per applicant.

Starting in 2025, home builders may be required to disclose an EnerGuide Label for all new low-density homes built in Calgary, pending a bylaw being passed by Council.

The City will share EnerGuide labels publicly via an online home energy performance map, which will launch in Fall 2024. The Program administrator may email participants to discuss what they learned during the energy label process to help inform program decisions moving forward. 

Learn more about the Home Energy Label Program and EnerGuide .

Home Energy Label Program - New Home Pilot

Program eligibility, application and rebates

Are you eligible for the rebate?

  • You are building a new single family, semi-detached or duplex dwelling.
  • You will be applying for a new single construction permit (SCP) application during rebate program dates (September 13, 2023-December 31, 2024) 
  • You will be working with an NRCan Registered Energy Advisor (EA) or Service Organization (SO) They must be authorized to provide a Home EnerGuide Label.
  • You agree to abide by the terms and conditions.


How do you apply?

  1. Complete the Letter of Intent.
  2. If you are applying using ePermit, upload the completed document as part of your submission. If you are applying in person, print the completed document and submit with the rest of your Single Construction Permit application.
  3. Once the application has been submitted, and all other SCP application requirements are met, the property will be enrolled into the rebate program. 
  4. You will receive an email from the Program Administrator confirming enrollment into the program within 30 days of application.
  5. Repeat steps 1-3 for each individual home address that will have an energy assessment for the EnerGuide Label. Each address must have it’s own completed Letter of Intent.

Receiving your rebate

  1. The registered Energy Advisor (EA) / Service Organization (SO) must complete an evaluation (including blower door test) close to end of construction.
  2. The registered EA or SO, must submit the evaluation results to Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).
  3. The City of Calgary will receive the final EnerGuide Label data directly through Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) at the end of construction and will not require applicants to submit labels as proof of completion.
  4. Once the City receives the EnerGuide Label data from NRCan, you will receive the rebate via Electronic Funds Transfer or cheque. The rebate is $250 per energy label.  Rebate is capped to a maximum of $7,500 per applicant during the program.

Program benefits

  • Builders will have a means to verify the constructed energy performance of their home.
  • The EnerGuide Label is recognized around Canada and can be used to compare the energy performance of your home compared to other homes.
  • Investments you make in energy efficiency at the construction stage will pay off in lower energy bills for new homeowners.
  • Provides preparation for the Tiered Energy Performance section of the current National Building Code of Canada – Alberta Edition.

Frequently asked questions

What happens if I have not chosen the Registered Energy Advisor (EA) or Service Organization (SO) at the time of application?

The Letter of Intent requires the Registered Energy Advisor (EA) / Service Organization’s (SO) name and registration number. We encourage applicants to have chosen their Energy Advisor prior to applying, however we will accept applications with ‘to be determined’ (or similar).

What if I replace the Registered Energy Advisor (EA) or Service Organization (SO) during construction?

You can make changes to the EA or SO during construction. You can notify the Program Administrator, in writing, of any changes at

Can I continue to apply to the Pilot Program after finishing the capped maximum rebate of $7,500? I would like to have my new home(s) EnerGuide Label added to the online home energy performance map.

Yes, although you will not receive a rebate you can continue to submit the Letter of Intent (LOI) with the rest of your Single Construction Permit application. Once the program administrator receives the EnerGuide Label information from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) at the end of construction, it will be shared on the online energy performance map.

What is EnerGuide Rating System version 15 (ERSv15) and EnerGuide Label for homes?

Energy advisors use the EnerGuide Rating System version 15 (ERSv15) to assess the energy performance and savings potential of homes. This information is used to produce the EnerGuide home label. For more information click here.

Can I use my label submission as a method of compliance with Section 9.36 of the current National Building Code of Canada – Alberta Edition?

The EnerGuide Label (EnerGuide Rating System version 15) for new homes can be used to demonstrate compliance with the building code. However, applicants to the Pilot Program may demonstrate compliance with the code using any of the compliance path types within Section 9.36 of the current building code.

Is an EnerGuide label required for building occupancy permit?

The EnerGuide label submission is not required for building occupancy permit, except when EnerGuide Rating System version 15 is being used to demonstrate compliance with the building code.

What can I do to improve my EnerGuide score prior to end of construction?

Prior to the drywall stage, a mid-construction blower door test can be completed by your energy advisor. This is a good opportunity to identify and correct issues with air tightness and potentially improve your home’s energy performance. The cost of addressing air leakage issues is significantly lower at this stage compared to construction completion when it can be both time consuming and expensive.

When will EnerGuide Labels become mandatory for new low-density (single family, semi-detached or duplex dwelling) homes?

If approved by Council, EnerGuide labels will be required on all new low-density homes starting January 1, 2025.

Will the Home Energy Label Program apply to other building types in the future?

We are exploring expanding the list to include townhouses and rowhouses in the future.

Will the City be disclosing the Labels collected through the program?

The City will use label data collected through the program and share publicly via an online map. The mapping tool is currently under development, with an anticipated release in Fall 2024) and will reveal the energy performance and greenhouse gas emissions of homes across Calgary. This information can help homebuyers with decision making when purchasing the home. 

Is there a target energy performance requirement in the Home Energy Label Program – New Home Pilot?

The EnerGuide label submission toward the Pilot Program does not have an energy performance target. It simply indicates the constructed performance of the home. However, if you are using EnerGuide Rating System version 15 to demonstrate compliance with the building code, you will need to meet or exceed code requirements.

If you have questions or want to know more about the Home Energy Label program, contact

EnerGuide Rating System

EnerGuide is a national energy rating and label system. The Labels are used to rate the energy performance of homes, much like they are used with major home appliances, like washers and dryers. They break down how a home uses energy and the greenhouse gas emissions associated with that energy use. The rating on the label can be used to compare the energy efficiency of a home to a typical new home, and other homes with EnerGuide Labels.

EnerGuide is administered by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) through NRCan registered energy advisors (EA) or Service Organizations (SO). 

See testimonials from some of our participants here!


Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​