Alert | State of Local Emergency in Effect

City declares State of Local Emergency. Water restrictions and Fire ban in place. Our water is safe to drink.

Water Saving Tips, FAQs, more information

Apply in person or by mail


Contractors may apply in person at the Planning Services Centre or by mail. Please note that we do not accept trade permit applications that have been received by fax or have been photocopied. The signature at the bottom of each application must be original.

Please print and complete the appropriate application form:

In-person submissions can be made by visiting the 3rd Floor of the municipal building.

Planning Services Centre
3rd floor
800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Calgary, AB

Hours of operation:
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
*please note we are closed on holidays

Applications can be mailed to:
The City of Calgary
P.O. Box 2100, Stn. M
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2P 2M5



Trade permit fees are calculated based on the cost of the job and a Safety Codes Council fee. Please see the fee schedule to determine permit fees or view an estimate.

Please visit the Inspections web page for inspection-related information and booking options.

Risks of working without a trade permit

If you, as a contractor, do not have permits for work that has been started or completed:

  • A stop work order may be issued by a City inspector.
  • A fine may be issued for building without a permit.
  • You may have to undo work that has been completed.
  • You may have to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted.


This information is for trade contractors applying for electrical, plumbing, gas or HVAC permits. If you are a homeowner looking to apply for an electrical, plumbing, gas or residential improvement project building permit, please visit Home improvement projects. If you are a general contractor looking to apply for a building permit online, please visit Residential ePermit.

As a trade contractor, you can apply in-person, by mail or online through the VISTA system. To apply, all trade contractors must:

  • have a valid trade certification and be registered with The City of Calgary as a City qualified tradesperson
  • have either a valid contractor's business licence with The City of Calgary or have been added to another business licence as a City qualified tradesperson;
  • have a VISTA account.
​​​​​ ​​Apply to be a City qualified tradesperson​​

If you are unsure of your status as a City of Calgary qualified tradesperson, please call 403-268-1488.

Apply online with VISTA. Its safe, secure, and easy:

​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​Register for VISTA​​
​​​​ ​​Login to VISTA​​

Additional information:


​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​