Ready Squad is a youth focused emergency preparedness program. It teaches kids about which emergencies occur in Calgary and how to prepare for them. This type of training empowers kids to be more resilient and knowledgeable about what to do during an emergency or disaster.
Join the Squad! Take the online training
The Ready Squad e-course is for kids aged 7 - 12. It's a fun and interactive way to teach kids how to prepare and withstand an emergency or disaster.
- Cost: Free
- Course duration approximately 20 minutes
- Compatible with desktop, smartphone, and tablet
- Successful participants will be able to print off a certificate
These resources can be used in the classroom as part of the program or at home.
- The Calgary Emergency Management Agency and the Calgary Fire Department have information on personal and family preparedness, hazards and risks in Calgary, fire safety, information on business continuity, and preparation for those with special needs. Plain Language resources are also available online or by calling 311.
- Environment and Climate Change Canada is home to the Sky Watchers Program, an educational initiative that provides free teaching material on the subject of weather, including information, explanations, lesson plans, experiments, activities, and more. Additional information about weather and weather alerts can be found at https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.html.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the United States has interactive tools available online for educators, parents and kids. Become a “Disaster Master” through online games and activities.
Junior Weather Forecasters Challenge!
- Learn about local weather phenomena by participating in the Junior Weather Forecasters Challenge!
- Junior weather forecaster guide
- Weather observation sheet
- Weather resource list
- Junior weather forcaster webinar video
Questions for the Ready Squad?
Social supports for families
Squad Action resources
Use the documents below to complete the Squad Actions found throughout the course. These documents can also be used by teachers to help with their lesson plans.