Disposing accumulated water (dewatering)

Dewatering is the process where accumulated water is physically removed from a construction site excavation or depression. This is normally done by pumping.

How can I dispose of accumulated water?

In order to dispose of this water, written authorization is required from The City of Calgary. For more information on getting approval to discharge water that has accumulated by precipitation or subsurface infiltration to the storm or sanitary sewer system, please call 403-268-2655.

Why do I need approval to discharge water?

Improper disposal of this water can lead to increased sedimentation in watercourses and may result in the introduction of other contaminants to receiving water bodies, the discharge of potentially contaminated water is regulated by a number of federal, provincial and municipal bylaws, including the City of Calgary's Drainage Bylaw 37M2005.

Related documents