Access The City of Calgary's dark fibre
To deliver next-generation services to Calgarians, The City has been increasing its fibre optic footprint. Our primary focus is to connect all City buildings, facilities, and assets.
The City licenses its excess dark fibre to organizations like yours to encourage innovation, economic growth and competition within our community.
Fibre connectivity benefits many industries and organizations, such as:
- Civic partners and non-profits in arts, culture, recreation, library services and others.
- Education (e.g. school board and universities)
- Health care (e.g. hospitals and clinics)
- Technology (e.g. data centres, Internet Service Providers and carriers)
- Commercial businesses
Your organization can access existing municipal fibre infrastrucutre to build your own secure high-speed network within Calgary and connect to the world.
What is dark fibre?
Fibre optic cable securely carries vast amounts of information as light pulses at high speeds. “Dark” fibre is unused fibre optic cable infrastructure. The fibre becomes lit when an organization attaches network equipment and transfer data between points.
Features of City fibre:
- Network/operator-neutral (open access).
- Over 400 kms of fibre reaching all quadrants of the city.
- Network speeds and capacity are virtually unlimited.
- Support is available 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Connect your business
When you licence dark fibre, you can:
- Build and manage your own network.
- Control network security, performance and costs.
- Provide high quality and consistent network services within your company and your customers.
- Gain access to a variety of Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and carriers.
Dark fibre connection types and pricing
The City's dark fibre can be used to connect your business in the following ways:
- Business to business
- Business to data centre
- Data centre to data centre
- Wireless tower to data centre