Calgary’s Greater Downtown Plan is our roadmap to reinvention
City Council approved Calgary’s Greater Downtown Plan and an significant initial investment to support vibrant neighbourhoods that people want to live and work in. The Plan is The City’s vision, roadmap and commitment to building a thriving, future-focused downtown. It focuses on creating vibrant neighbourhoods, establishing a green network, creating streets for people, expanding transit, and future-proofing Calgary’s downtown.
Greater Downtown Investments:
- $45 million in financial incentives to convert office space to residential and other uses
- $5 million in financial incentives to offset +15 Fund contributions
- $55 million for capital projects that support vibrant neighbourhoods
- $5 million to activate downtown public spaces
- $10 million over four years to create a dedicated downtown team
- $80 million for Arts Commons Transformation Phase 1
Source: The City of Calgary
Construction wrapped on Platform Innovation Centre and Parkade
Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC), Calgary Parking Authority (CPA) and Platform Calgary celebrated the opening of an innovative new East Village parkade following two and a half years of construction. The mixed-use building combines seven storeys of parking for visitors to East Village and surrounding communities with 50,000 square feet of innovation space that will be home to Platform Calgary and partners later this year.
Platform Innovation Centre facts:
- Includes 503 vehicle parks stalls, 6 electric vehicle chargers, and 99 bicycle spots
- Features a publicly accessible sport court on the main level
- Upper floor can be rented for corporate events and community gatherings
- 50+ tech and innovation partners will be part of the Platform Innovation Centre
Source: Calgary Municipal Land Corporation
Downtown Ambassador program expands
Downtown Ambassadors are connecting Calgary and visitors to information on services, places and supports in the downtown. Focused on outreach, safety, cleanliness and an inclusive environment the ambassadors provide a welcoming presence downtown every day. In May, the ambassadors expanded their area of operations beyond the City Hall area, to include the length of Stephen Avenue and 7 Avenue S.W., along with 3 Street S.W. to the Bow River.
- 4,000+ interactions with Calgarians
- 2,500+ interactions with Calgary’s vulnerable population
- 400+ check-ins with local business owners and staff
Source: Calgary Downtown Association
The Blox launches in the Beltline
The Beltline Business Improvement Area created “The Blox”, a community of businesses, people and experiences that highlights the vibrancy and eclectic community of the Beltline. The Blox spans the Beltline from 2 Street to 9 Street and 10 Avenue to 13 Avenue. It contains some of Calgary’s most beloved businesses, restaurants, shops and pubs. The initiative promotes growth and vibrancy in downtown’s historic Beltline district.
The Blox facts:
- 40+ businesses are part of The Blox
- The Blox and the Alberta University of Arts have created Beltline community bike racks to make biking easier and support vibrancy
Source: The Beltline BIA