Montgomery (Bowness Road) Main Streets construction
Project update – September 2020
Construction continues on the south side of Bowness Road N.W. between 44 and 42 Street N.W. We are maintaining one lane of westbound traffic on Bowness Road N.W., and eastbound traffic is detoured to 17 Avenue N.W. between 44 and 42 Street N.W.
There is no parking on the south side of 17 Avenue between 44 and 42 Street N.W., as well as no parking on the east and west side of 42 Street N.W. south of Bowness Road. 42 Street N.W. south of Bowness Road is closed to southbound traffic while crews are working.
To stay up to date on when, and where, crews will be working sign up for updates.
For more information about the new Montgomery Main Street that we’re building, have a look at the Montgomery Main Street project overview.
The City has developed a streetscape master plan for Bowness (Montgomery) Road N.W. based on citizen and stakeholder feedback, technical analysis, and financial considerations. The plan supports the needs identified by the community and provides a vision that guides the detailed design and construction phases.
The final design for the Bowness Road Main Street project includes:
- New road surface on Bowness Road between MacKay Road and west of 52 Street N.W.
- A multi-use path, and sidewalk, on both sides of Bowness Road.
- Enhanced pedestrian crossings through the corridor for safety.
- Better access to transit stops.
- Intersection improvements, for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.
- New street lighting along the corridor.
- New landscaping and amenities to make the street a destination.
- Burying the overhead power lines at Bowness Road and 52 Street N.W.
- Upgraded traffic signals at Bowness Road and Home Road NW
Construction on Bowness Road NW starts summer 2020.
- Summer 2020 – Construction starts
- Summer to late fall 2020 – Underground utility relocation and road works
- Spring 2021 – Utility and roadworks continue
- Spring 2022 – project completion
Main Streets project documents
What will Bowness Road look like?
Montgomery’s Main Street – Bowness Road N.W. – underwent the “design” step of the Main Streets program in 2018 and 2019. The City developed a streetscape master plan for your Main Street based on citizen and stakeholder feedback, technical analysis, and financial considerations. This vision encompasses numerous considerations, including:
- Enhanced pedestrian safety and comfort.
- Improved mobility options, including transit and cycling.
- A design that is uniquely “Montgomery” and reflects its identity.
- Green, friendly streets through naturalized boulevards, trees, and site furnishings.
- Making Montgomery a destination that will support existing and new local businesses.
- Improved connections to park spaces and amenities.
The Main Streets Program is one of the ways that the City of Calgary is working to make our city “a great place to make a living, and a great place to make a life.” Our program shares The City’s common purpose of “making life better every day” by implementing a comprehensive process to transform our main streets into places where people want to live, work and play.
Main Streets are resilient, adaptable, and attractive places that:
- Celebrate the character of the community.
- Encourage diversity of businesses, buildings and residents.
- Create a vibrant destination.
- Improve public health.
Visit the Main Streets program webpage to learn more about the program and our approach to creating vibrant community spaces.