Building permit fee calculator - Commercial
Planning & Development is deferring or waiving some fee payments in 2020 and 2021, specifically enhancing flexibility on building permits.
Building permit fee calculator for alterations and new commercial projects
Step 1: calculate base permit fee
Step 2: add additional fees and surcharges
Base permit fee
Partial permit rate
Authority: this form summarizes the fees collected with Building Permits and should be used for convenience only. For official fees, reference the Calgary Building Permit Bylaw 64M94.
Covered areas: any side or rear covered areas over 10 m2 should be listed under "Living area".
New multi-family buildings: use the Building Permit Fee Calculatior - Low Rise for new low-rise wood-frame townhouses and apartments, and the Building Permit Fee Calculatior - High Rise for new high-rise non-combustible apartments that are primarily residential in use. For alterations to multi-family buildings, use this form.
Lot Grading Fees Authority: this form summarizes the fees collected with Building Permits and should be used for convenience only.For official fees, reference the Calgary Bylaw 32M2004 regulating the Surface Grades of Properties. The intent of the bylaw is to ensure that surface drainage flows away from buildings. The Lot Grading Fee is applied to all Building Permit applications for New Commercial / Industrial buildings. The Lot Grading Fee is applied to Commercial / Industrial Additions if grades are required on the Mechanical Site Circulation Slip.
Safety Codes Council fees: for the purpose of the Safety Codes Council fee, the base permit and the partial permit, if requested, are considered two separate items. The municipality will collect the Safety Codes Council fee for each permit, base permit and partial permit, issued under the authority of the Safety Codes Act.
Prevailing market value - Includes the following items
- Sub-structure (Foundations, Excavation, Special Conditions)
- Structure (lowest floor, upper floors and roof construction)
- Exterior Enclosure (walls below grade, walls above grade, Windows and Entrances, Roof Covering, Projections)
- Partitions and Doors
- Fittings and Equipment (Fitting and Fixtures, Equipment, Elevators)
- Mechanical (Plumbing and Drainage, Fire Protection, HVAC including Controls)
- Electrical (Service and Distribution, Lighting Devices and Heating, Systems and Ancillary)
General Requirements, Profit and Allowances
- General Site Requirements (site supervision, temporary site offices and toilets, garbage removal, temporary water and power, temporary site access roads, utility maintenance during construction, winter heat/protection, site safety and security, general constractor’s liabililty insurance, bonding)
- General Contractor’s Profit
- Design and Pricing Allowance ( a contingency to allow for design flexibility during contract document stage)
- Construction Allowance (allows for changes during construction – change orders)
Prevailing market value - Excludes the following items
- Land Acquisition costs
- Development charges
- Legal Fees and expenses
- Right of Way charges
- Easement costs
- Financing costs or Fundraising costs
- Owners staff and management cost ( note - contractor cost and staff ARE to be included in prevailing market value)
- Relocation costs
- Professional Design fees and expenses
- Hazardous waste removal
- Kitchen equipment except for restaurants/food service establishments
- Maintenance equipment
- Loose furniture, furnishings and equipment
- Special audio, visual or security equipment
- Window treatments
- Site Development and Servicing costs
- Market allowance for uncompetitive bidding & over competitive bidding
- Escalation allowance