Pigeon Licensing Information
Pigeon keeping is a long-established hobby in Calgary. The City of Calgary provides regulation and licensing for keeping urban pigeons under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
Applying for a pigeon keeping licence
Before applying for a pigeon keeping licence:
- You must contact The City of Calgary's Planning and Development department to start a pre-application enquiry file.
- You must be a member of one of the approved pigeon keeping associations.
- You will need to apply for a licence for each property you keep pigeons on in Calgary.
Note: Your licence must be approved before you acquire pigeons.
Approved pigeon keeping associations
Prepare your application
Once you have obtained membership in one of the approved pigeon keeping associations, prepare the following prior to your application. Ensure you have all of this information ready before you apply. Incomplete applications will be closed and not processed.
Contact the Planning and Development department
Provide proof of association membership
Provide proof of property ownership
Provide a signed declaration form
Apply for pigeon keeping licence
Ensure you have all of this information ready before you apply. Incomplete applications will be closed and not processed.
The licensing regulations ensure people new to keeping pigeons are properly trained and adhere to commonly accepted practices that prevent potential community issues, and that any neighbouring concerns are addressed.
You will need to acquire a free Premise Identification (PID) number from the Government of Alberta.
Urban pigeon licensing is regulated under part 4 of the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
Site inspections will be conducted on a number of randomly selected applicant sites to ensure housing criteria is met.
Licence or permit holders must:
- Have proof of ownership of the property where the livestock is kept (or proof of consent of the property’s owner).
- Keep all housing consistent with what was approved in the application for the licence (and in good repair).
- Not fly more than 30 pigeons at a time and must not fly pigeons that have been fed within two hours prior to flying, unless exempt from this requirement by The City of Calgary (exempt permission will be granted where the requirement is not reasonable due to the type of species of pigeon being kept under the licence).
- Maintain membership in good standing of either the Canadian Pigeon Fanciers’ Association Inc./Association Canadienne du Pigeon de Fantaisie Inc. or the Canadian Racing Pigeon Union Incorporated, and must band all pigeons kept under the licence with a seamless Club or Association band on their legs.
- A licence holder may not slaughter a pigeon, but may take pigeons to be euthanized by a licenced veterinarian or to be slaughtered at a licensed slaughterhouse in the city limits.
- Must notify The City of Calgary if the pigeons are being relocated or moved and must agree to an inspection of any new location.