Municipal Government Board Appeals
The Municipal Government Board (MGB) is an independent and impartial quasi-judicial board established by the provincial government under the Municipal Government Act (MGA). The Board makes decisions about land planning and assessment matters.
The following is a list of projects involving The City of Calgary, where the MGB is reviewing municipal matters under dispute.
Omni Area Structure Plan Appeal (2017)
The City of Calgary, under Section 690 of the Municipal Government Act, filed an inter-municipal appeal against Rocky View County's OMNI Area Structure Plan (Municipal Government Board file No. 17/IMD003). Documents will be made public as they become available.
- Notice of Hearing
- Appeal of Rocky View County’s OMNI Area Structure Plan
- City of Calgary Proposed Hearing Schedule
- City of Calgary March 22, 2018 submission to the Municipal Government Board
- Municipal Government Board Decision Letter for Omni Merit Hearing (PDF)
- May 25, 2018 – City of Calgary submissions and reports
- To read Rocky View documents please visit the Rocky View Website.
- July 12, 2018 – Affected Parties Submission
- July 18, 2018 – City of Calgary rebuttal
- July 30, 2018 – Municipal Government Board hearing process begins
December 18, 2018 – Municipal Government Board decision
December 18, 2018, the Municipal Government Board delivered a decision regarding the Omni ASP in favour of the City of Calgary. Details of The MGB decision can be found on the following link: Municipal Government Board decision – December 18, 2018 (1.1 MB)
To view hard copies, please contact City of Calgary Clerks:
City Clerk’s Office
Administration Building (Municipal Complex)
313 - 7th Avenue SE
Glenbow Ranch Area Structure Plan and Municipal Development Plan Appeal (2017)
The City of Calgary, under Section 690 of the Municipal Government Act, filed an appeal against both Rocky View County's Glenbow Ranch Area Structure Plan and amendments to the Rocky View County Plan.
- The Municipal Government Board Decision on April 24, 2018
- Notice of Merit Hearing - Posted on March 21, 2018
- Mediation Settlement Agreement - Posted on March 21, 2018
- Appeal of Rocky View County’s Glenbow Ranch Area Structure Plan
- Appeal of amendments to Rocky View County’s Municipal Development Plan
Recent appeal decisions:
Conrich Area Structure Plan (2016)
A decision was received on May 10, 2017 from the Municipal Government Board (Board Order: MGB 020/17; File: 16/IMD/002).
Supporting information :
- The Joint Submission of The City of Calgary and Rocky View County to the Municipal Government Board may be viewed here: Joint Submissions of the City of Calgary and Rocky View County.
- A preliminary hearing was held on February 29, 2016. Please view the notice to landowners.
- The following letter to the Municipal Government Boardfrom The City of Calgary was sent on June 17, 2016, Municipal Government Board of Appeal letter.
- For information of the MGB Merit Hearing Proceedings, please see the following letter: Municipal Government Board Merit Hearing proceedings.
- The following Joint Rebuttal was filed by Rocky View County and The City of Calgary on September 2, 2016.
To view hardcopies, please contact Austin Weleschuk by phone at 403-268-1163 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.