Shouldice Seasonal Dome
The Shouldice Seasonal Dome is undergoing its initial inflation from August 15, 2022, to the beginning of October 2022. This initial inflation is complex, requiring us to fit fabric to entryways and mechanical units, set up interior anchor points, install and test the safety, security and communication systems and train staff. Subsequent inflations will only take two to three weeks.
Information on booking Shouldice Seasonal Dome can be found here.
Click on image to enlarge
An air-supported structure has no interior columns or beams and is formed by maintaining internal air pressure. The Volleydome is an example of a similar structure in Calgary. Construction is quicker than a traditional building envelope and the dome can be removed seasonally. Fields can be subdivided for youth to play smaller game formats.
The dome will be up annually from approximately November to May (weather dependent) and will allow sports to be played year-round. It will be bookable by anyone.
- flag football
- field hockey
- and more
Capital investment in this project will generate 35 full-time jobs (based on Infrastructure Calgary’s economic impact assessment model).
The contractor will adhere to The City’s Community Standards Bylaw, 5M2004 for hours of operation, material storage and construction best practices, including dust mitigation. If you have questions, please contact 311.
In December 2020, significant funding for the Shouldice Dome was approved through the Government of Alberta's Municipal Stimulus Program (MSP).
Funding provided for this project totals $8.5 million from the following sources:
- The Municipal Stimulus Program
- The Dome Facilities Association member organizations
- The City of Calgary
Through partnering with external organizations and other levels of government, The City can leverage funding to complete the project in contrast to the cost to taxpayers of doing it alone.
- October 2022, Public use of the dome over Encana Field begins.
- August 2022, Initial dome inflation begins; Encana Field temporarily unavailable.
- Spring 2022, Encana Field open for use.
- July 2021, Construction began.
- March 2021, The pathway west of Encana field was re-aligned to accommodate the construction of the Shouldice Seasonal Dome. Brush clearing work occurred in adherence with the Calgary Parks Tree Protection Plan for Capital Projects. The area will be replanted and restored to support biodiversity and citizen enjoyment of the area as part of the project construction.