New Sunnyside Stormwater Lift Station #1
About the project
The new lift station, located at 200 Memorial Drive N.W., will alleviate localized flooding in the south east area of Sunnyside as well as overland flooding on Memorial Drive N.W., keeping it open for emergency services, citizens and City trouble crews.
This project is one of several stormwater drainage infrastructure upgrades taking place in the community as part of the Northwest Inner City Community Drainage Improvement Projects. Together, all of these upgrades will work towards enhancing the safety of residents and protecting vulnerable areas from the damages caused by stormwater flooding.
Sunnyside Stormwater Lift Station Conceptual Design
How it works
Stormwater lift stations are used to manage stormwater within a given area by pumping (or “lifting”) water away from low-lying areas. This lift station will collect and then re-direct stormwater through underground piping to outfall structures located at the Bow River.
As part of Sunnyside stormwater lift station project, we are also providing the following amenities that will be completed by summer 2022:
- Water fountain/bottle filling station
- Newly graded area at the bottom of the Crescent Heights stairway to prevent current water pooling issues
- Pathway widening and realignment
- A prepped base for the addition of a fitness park to the north of the lift station
- Two public washrooms
- Art panels developed in collaboration with the Community Association
- Spring 2019 - Construction of the station begins.
- Spring 2020 - Upgrades completed to the catchbasins at the 3rd Street N.W. intersection, installation of a pipe along Memorial Drive N.W. to convey stormwater to the lift station and tie into existing stormwater system beneath CPA lot #59
- Summer/early fall 2020: Pathway improvements.
- Summer 2021: Lift station construction and landscaping complete
- Spring 2022: Art panel installation on east and west faces of the facility.
- Summer 2022: Anticipated completion of adjacent fitness park and public washrooms.
Northwest Inner City Community Drainage Improvement Projects
See further information on other storm drainage infrastructure upgrades taking place in the community.