Legal Services plan and budget
Legal Services is a full-service law department providing legal advice to Council & Committees and all City departments including: representation of The City in legal and enforcement proceedings, support intentional and informed decision making, advise on risk and mitigation strategies, develop solutions and strategies in collaboration with our customers; draft legal documents, advise on regulatory requirements, perform other related services and serve as a strategic partner advising on corporate business matters.
- City Council
- Executive Leadership Team
- all City Departments
- All City departments
Value to Calgarians
- provides comprehensive legal and business advice
- satisfies non-legal corporate needs and limiting the use of external counsel where there is a conflict of interest
- connects related initiatives across the Corporation
- enhances the overall integration and value of corporate services delivered
What we deliver
- Comprehensive legal advice and representation.
service plan budget
Expected 2026 performance.
2021 was 100%
Legal Services staff retained
2021 was 88%
# of average short-term sickness and accident days per employee
2021 was 5
Legal work kept in-house annually
2021 was 97%
What we've heard
In addition to regular customer meetings, in 2019 Legal Services began formally surveying its customers. The three completed surveys show that Legal Services has a consistently high overall satisfaction rate averaging 97 per cent of respondents indicating they are very satisfied/satisfied with our service. Customers indicate that the depth and breadth of knowledge within Legal Services and corresponding problem-solving ability is of tremendous value. Customers are concerned with the ongoing increase in volume, velocity and complexity of matters facing the Corporation and sufficiency of resourcing within Legal Services to ensure service can be delivered to the level necessary to satisfy future customer needs.Participate and view results of City research
What we're watching
- Legal Services is monitoring service demand and ensuring service prioritization aligns with Council's strategic direction and Rethink to Thrive.
- Focus will continue to be on trends regarding staff well-being, engagement and retention in a changing work environment with increasing volume, velocity and complexity of service demands. Legal Services will carefully monitor resources to ensure customer needs are met.
- We will watch and measure the effectiveness of continuous improvement initiatives as the Council approved Zero-Based Review (ZBR) commitments are implemented.
What we plan to do
Our primary service result is to deliver the right service at the right time for the right value. To achieve this, we will need to be resilient to changes in the political environment, local & global economies, while transitioning to new ways of working as well as competing for scarce legal talent.
How we're going to get there
- Continue to work on initiatives identified through the Legal Service’s Zero-based Review (ZBR).
- Refocus resources to support Council priorities including climate change & resiliency initiatives.
- Remain focused on employee wellness, retention and equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Implement technology advancements to modernize and streamline operations in accordance with Council approved ZBR commitments.
- Continue efforts to increase proactive involvement on priority corporate issues.