17th ave construction
Project update - October 15, 2020
Sidewalk work to continue in 2021
In order to give businesses and residents in the area some reprieve after three years of construction and disruption, remaining sidewalk and streetscape construction has been deferred by 18 months until 2021 and will be completed in conjunction with the top-lift of asphalt road paving during the 2021 construction season. Check back in late 2020 for the planned 2021 construction schedule.
We're investing in 17 Ave., for now and for the future. Rebuilding the 30 year old road and the upgrading the 100 year old utilities now will make sure the area can continue to grow for years to come.
The effort now will make sure the area can continue to grow for years to come.
Key areas of focus are:
- Rebuilding the road, including a new road design that's safer and more predictable, based on an In-Service Road Safety Review
- Improving crosswalks and intersections for those on foot, including curb extensions on side streets
- Upgrading water and sanitary utilities for current and future development
- Improving sidewalks- new sidewalks and repairs, burying utility lines, LED lighting, sitting areas and new trees
- Upgrading telecommunications, power and gas utilities
Paving the way for a better 17 Avenue S.
The City is investing in the future of 17 Avenue between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W. We're upgrading the utilities, rebuilding the road and improving the area for pedestrians so 17 Avenue can continue to be a vibrant, great space for everyone to enjoy.
17 Ave SW - Vision
Plan view of 17 Avenue S., between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W.
14/15 Avenue one-ways / 16 Avenue parking
The one-way detours along 14 and 15 Avenues will remain in their current configuration while we conduct public engagement and traffic analysis to understand which design is best for the community. View 14 & 15 Avenue Mobility Improvements for more information.
The two-way arrangement along 16 Avenue from 14 Street to 10 Street will be extended to 9 Street and the lanes readjusted to accommodate more on-street parking. This work will be completed in conjunction with the 2021 construction program.
Since spring 2015, we've been talking with people who live, work and travel in the area about paving the way for a better 17 Avenue S. You may not have been part of the conversation since the beginning, but feel free to familiarize yourself with how the project has evolved over the past few years.
Check out the information that we've displayed and discussed at previous open houses and information sessions.
June 7, 2018
The information session on June 7 provided an update on the project and the 2018 construction season.
April 4 and April 7, 2018
Two information sessions were held on April 4 and 7 to provide an update on the project and the 2018 construction season. The information display boards from the presentations are here:
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-2
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-3
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-4
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-5
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-6
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-2
Frequently asked questions
Sidewalk work, including related streetscape improvements, is being reevaluated and rescheduled to minimize the impact to people walking in the area and access to businesses.
- Road reconstruction:
Spring 2018 – Winter 2019 - COMPLETE
- Final sidewalk work: Spring 2021
*Construction is dependent on weather, site conditions and timing of other projects in the neighbourhood. Updates will be provided regularly, but dates may change.