Share this page Print


City inspe​ctions are intended to ensure safety and compliance with all relevant bylaws and safety codes

City inspections are different than third-party home inspections. The City ensures that the minimum safety standards of construction are met. For information regarding third-party home inspections, visit buying and selling your home.

Why you require an inspection

Inspections are part of the permit process and are include in the permit price. Your permit is not complete until your work has passed all required inspections.

Safety codes officers verify that your completed work meets safety standards and they can assist if you have encountered problems with your project. Having permits approved and completed can allow future buyers to verify that your work was inspected by The City.

Remember, any work completed on your home is ultimately the owner’s responsibility. If you’re working with a contractor, setting your expectations at the beginning of the project in a written contract is a good way to protect your investment. For more tips, visit hiring a contractor​.

Types of inspections

Building, electrical, plumbing​, gas and mechanical

These inspections are required at different stages of construction, depending on the type of permit and the scope of work.

For more information on these types of permits, visit


The following tasks must be completed before booking an inspection. Please note it is not necessary to have drywall installed for a final inspection.

The inspection outcome depends on the construction method and site conditions at inspection time. This information is not an exhaustive list but a general outline. Please contact the Technical Assistance Centrefor more information.

Rough-in requirements

  • Have all wiring and interior of outlet boxes readily visible.
  • Remove vapour barrier and insulation where it’s covering any wiring. The exception is for wiring fished into walls.
  • All wiring must be supported.
  • Remove outer sheath of wiring and terminate all wiring into outlet boxes and fixtures.
  • Ensure all splices are made and all grounding is complete in outlet boxes and fixtures.
  • Do not secure devices (plugs, switches) to outlet boxes. Leave all wiring and terminations visible.
  • Cables may be terminated into the panelboard, but wires should not be on breakers.
  • Never energize exposed wiring.
  • Rough and underground inspections should be combined.
  • Expose the trench on at least one end to confirm depth.
  • Access must be provided to all areas where electrical work has been completed.

Final requirements

  • Do not have any exposed live wiring.
  • Install all devices, receptacles and light fixtures.
  • Any open outlet boxes or unfinished wiring must be properly secured and installed in a junction box with an approved splice cap and a junction box cover.
  • Install, terminate and energize all breakers, if safe to do so.
  • Complete the panelboard breaker directory, all breakers must be labeled correctly.
  • Access must be provided to all areas where electrical work has been completed.

Permit Services Reports are produced once a permit is closed. The report is a summary of any outstanding inspection outcomes and explains the permit closure condition(s). Permit Services Reports are available upon request to property owners and permit holders. To request a Permit Services Report please call 403-268-5311.


What you need to have completed before you call for each plumbing inspection:

Rough-in inspection

  • Install and complete all plumbing drainage and venting.
  • Install and connect waterlines to the rest of the water distribution system.
  • Properly support all drains, vents, and waterlines.
  • Install the bathtub/shower valve.

Final inspection

  • Install and ensure all fixtures and equipment are ready for use.
  • Ensure the bathtub and shower water temperature does not exceed 49 degrees Celsius.
  • Seal all piping designed for future fixtures with an approved plug or cap.
  • Provided a shut off valve for all toilets.

Unsafe constr​uction or building without a permit

These non-permit inspections are conducted by a safety codes officer for work which has been started without the proper permits. If infractions are found, the inspector will issue warnings or potential fines until proper permits have been obtained.

To file a complaint regarding work without a permit, please contact 311. To follow up on a notice regarding building without a permit, please contact the inspector listed on the notice document.

Development co​mpletion

Development completion inspections are conducted by a development inspector and are to be completed after the construction of a project which required a development permit. A development completion permit is issued by the inspector to confirm that what was constructed is in accordance with the approved plans and conditions of the development permit.

Development com​pliance

Development compliance inspections are conducted by a development inspector to follow up on complaints related to the Land Use Bylaw. These inspectors may issue warnings or tickets to bring developments into compliance with the bylaw.

To make a complaint regarding Land Use Bylaw infractions, please contact the Planning Services Centre at 403-268-5311.

Secondary suite​ safety

An inspection for people with existing secondary suites who are unsure of specific building code-related work for their suite. A safety codes officer will advise on what work needs to be done in a building permit application.

To request a suite safety inspection, please contact 311.

For more information on creating a safe and legal secondary suite, visit secondary suites and backyard ​suites.


A condo inspection is conducted by a development inspector and is required to ensure the number of dwelling units and the number and location of visitor and handicapped parking stalls matches the approved development permit.

To book a condominium inspection, please contact the Planning Services Centre at 403-268-5311.

Identifying a City Inspector

City inspectors visit by appointment only, identify themselves with City of Calgary picture ID badges and drive city-marked vehicles.

City inspectors will visit homes to verify that renovations or additions meet Alberta’s safety codes after a Building Permit has been applied for. If someone knocks on your door posing as a City inspector and asks to inspect your home without an appointment, do not let them in until you can verify they are legitimate. We encourage you to closely scrutinize any ID that is presented when anyone comes to your door. In the event of an emergency, a City inspector could visit without an appointment, but if you're in doubt, call 311.

Information for renters

Tenant complaints related to electrical issues in a rental unit are addressed by The City . Contact 311 to submit a complaint. Before calling, please:

  • Ensure you provided written notification about your concern to the landlord.
  • Be prepared to provide us with the landlord’s telephone number.
  • Arrange access to the property for the safety codes officer.

More information for landlords and tenants is available through the provincial government and The Centre for Public and Legal Education Alberta. Learn about minimum housing and health standards.
More information is also available about filing other types of complaints with the City.

Scheduling a building or trade inspection

To receive an inspection for any business day you must book before 2 p.m. the previous business day. For example, book by 2 p.m. on Friday for a Monday inspection.

Registered business owners

If you’ve signed up for ePermit​, visit on your mobile device or on your desktop computer.

  • Book, reschedule and cancel phase and out of sequence inspections online.
  • View what inspections are available for your current project.
  • Receive instant scheduling confirmation.
  • View inspection status and results online.

Other permit holders

If you are not an ePermit user, all residential construction, electrical, plumbing, and gas fireplace installation permits can be booked at 311 online services Inspection - Residential Improvement Project -Electric/ Plumbing/ Gas Fireplace Installation, permits at​ and providing them with your permit number or address.

Generally, your project will require a rough-in and a final inspection for each building and trade permit pulled, though additional inspections may be required. You can contact 311 on the morning of your inspection to find out if it will be in the morning or afternoon.

If you wish to cancel your inspection, please call 311 and provide your permit number, address and the type of inspection you wish to cancel.

Canceling an ePermit​ inspection

Safety codes officers cannot cancel an inspection. ePermit inspections may be cancelled online via ePermit Inspections. All other inspections may be cancelled by contacting 311 no later than 8 a.m. on the day of the inspection. Inspections cancelled after this deadline may be subject to a reinspection fee.

Documents needed at an inspection

When your inspector arrives, you will need:

  • Approved drawings
  • Permit conditions

If there are structural changes, you may need a field review by your engineer on-site. If you are required to provide this document, it will be listed in the permit conditions.

Possible inspection outcomes

Once the inspector has completed their review, they will leave an inspection report that identifies any items to be corrected. An inspection may have one of three outcomes:

  • Acceptable: you do not have any deficiencies that need to be corrected. At this point, the permit is considered complete.
  • Acceptable with conditions: minor deficiencies have been found, but they are not significant enough for a re-inspection. It is the owner’s responsibility to correct these deficiencies.
  • Not acceptable: multiple items that need correction have been found. A re-inspection is necessary before proceeding further.

Inspections for renovation work already completed

Work previously completed without permits can be inspected by The City, if the proper permits are obtained. The building permit application can be submitted by the homeowner. The applicant must provide the same requirements as an application for new work. This process may require framing concealed by drywall to be exposed for the purpose of the inspection.

Trade permits like electrical, plumbing, gas, or mechanical, can be obtained once the work has been concealed. A homeowner’s permit cannot be issued for work that has been done without necessary trade permits. To have the inspection completed, the owner must hire a licensed trade contractor. The contractor will have to obtain the permit and check that the work complies with applicable codes. However, the homeowner is still ultimately responsible for any previously concealed work.

Visit​ for information about your project.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​