Protocol and consultations
We provide guidance on how to address elected officials and foreign dignitaries, and standard protocol guidelines for ceremonies and events.
Styles of address
The City follows the Government of Canada style of address.
- Address: His/Her Worship, Firstname A. Lastname, Mayor of (City)
- Salutation: Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Mr./Madam Mayor
- Conversation: Your Worship first, then Mayor Lastname
- Address: Councillor Firstname Lastname
- Salutation: Dear Councillor Lastname or Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. Lastname
- Conversation: Councillor or Councillor Lastname or Mr./Mrs./Ms. Lastname
For other styles of address, visit the Government of Canada.
Order of precedence
The City uses the Government of Alberta's order of precedence when it comes to introductions and speaking order at special events.
Typically, introductions are from most senior position to junior position and speaking order is junior position to most senior position. Note that there are always exceptions to the rule depending on who is in attendance, who is hosting the event, and the purpose of the event. If there are multiple Members of Legislative Assembly to be introduced, put them in order based on the date of first election and then in alphabetical order by last name.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call with the details of your event and we will work with you to determine the proper protocols.
If the Government of Canada is the host, the precedence is set by the Government of Canada.
If the Government of Alberta is the host, the precedence is set by the Government of Alberta.
For events that include indigenous participants, specific protocols may be appropriate. Contact the Office of Indigenous Relations with any inquiries, email: email@example.com.
- Consular Corps of Alberta
- Protocol for ceremonies
- Flag etiquette
- Toasting the Queen
- Order of precedence
- Anthems and symbols of Canada
- Monarchy and the Crown
- National Flag of Canada half-masting notices
- National Flag of Canada
- Official symbols of Canada
For more information about citizen recognitions and protocol at The City, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-988-5588. Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.