About Councillor Diane Colley-Urquhart
Ward 13 Diane Colley-Urquhart
A Leader for Our Times
Diane Colley-Urquhart is recognized as a dynamic community leader and a senior member of Calgary City Council, currently serving her seventh term in Office as an elected official. Diane has valued her public service to the residents of Ward 13 and all Calgarians. Her grounded, common-sense approach to politics and the respect she has garnered in working with her Council colleagues as a team player have resulted in numerous policies and community investments being implemented since she entered public office in 2000.
As a voice for the citizens of Ward 13, Diane is known to take up issues of public concern and can be relied upon to speak out on controversial city-wide issues. This is because Diane keeps in close touch with those who elected her. She listens to what is important to Calgarians. She is her constituents' voice at City Hall and around the Council table.
About Councillor Diane
Councillor Diane has served on City Council as a Ward Councillor, City-wide Official and Deputy Mayor for 21 years. She was elected in a by-election in 2000 and has served with distinction over that period of time. She is a 51-year healthcare professional and brings a unique and valued perspective to the Council table. She has held senior management and teaching positions in emergency, intensive care and trauma at several hospitals. Diane also brings extensive experience in the not-for-profit sector and in long term care working with seniors.
Councillor Diane has run her own small business and brings a diverse entrepreneurial experience in health and human services, business and community volunteer service. Her steady, grounded, common sense approach to politics has garnered her respect in working with her Council colleagues as a team player and health care professional. This has resulted in numerous policies and community investments being implemented since she entered public office.
She has made wellness, prevention, community safety and security hallmarks in her elected role. Councillor Diane is recognized for her highly collaborative style and listening skills in building consensus and forging strategic alliances with key stakeholders to get things done.
- 1992 Canada 125 Governor General of Canada’s Commemorative Medal – In recognition of significant contribution to compatriots, community and to Canada.
- 2005 Alberta Centennial Medal – In recognition of initiatives in human rights, community service and diversity.
- 2008 Alberta Municipal Affairs Honorable Mention Award – In recognition of Chairing/Co-Founding the 2003 STOP Marihuana Grow-up Coalition.
- 2015 Canadians for Global Care Society Award – In recognition of Public Service.
- 2016 CARNA Centennial Award Recipient – One of 100 RNs in Alberta to receive this award for the long-standing contribution to the profession of Registered Nursing in the Province.
- 2016 Health Quality Council of Alberta Patient Award – Team Coordinator for the first Fibromyalgia Program in Alberta.
- 2008 - 2017 Calgary Police Commission - In recognition of Cllr Colley-Urquhart's leadership and dedication to the Calgary Police Service and the Good Citizens of Calgary.
- 2018 Association of Women Police Conference Certificate of Participation and Appreciation - In recognition of Cllr Colley-Urquhart's dedication, passion and hard work in addressing human resources matters relating to women and men in the Calgary Police Service.
- 2019 Women of Inspiration Award for Advocate and Catalyst for Change
- 2020 Honouree, Jewish National Fund Calgary - For longstanding support of the Jewish Community.
2020 - 2021 Council Appointments
- Chair, Coordinating Committee of the Councillor’s Office (CCCO)
- Member, Community & Protective Services
- Member, Emergency Management Committee
- Member, Family and Community Support Services
- Member, COVID Community Safety Task Force
- Member, Civic Partners Committee
- Member, Utilities and Corporate Services Committee
- Member, Transit and Transportation
- Member, Audit Committee
- Member, Nominations Committee
- Member, Corporate Pension Governance Committee
- Member, Pathways and Bikeways Project Steering Committee
- Board Member, Calgary Convention Centre Authority (CCCA)
- Member, Audit & Finance Committee (CCCA)
- Member, Foothills County Inter-Municipal Committee
- Member, Calgary Mental Health & Addiction Stewardship Council
- Co-Chair, Mental Health and Addictions Safety Table
- Shareholder Representative, ENMAX Corporation
- Shareholder Representative, Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC)
- Shareholder Representative, Calgary Housing Company (CHC)
- Chair, Ward 13 President's Council
- Honorary Chair, Calgary Safety Expo
- Council Champion, Calgary Awards
Current Healthcare Associations
- Board Member, Canada IntNSA (International Nurses Society on Addictions
- Member, Harm Reduction Nurses Association
- Member, Alberta Nurses Coalition for Harm Reduction
Past Council Appointments
- Chair, Community & Protective Services
- Chair, Emergency Management Committee
- Chair, Family and Community Support Services
- Member, Priorities and Finance Committee
- Member, Calgary Aboriginal Urban Affairs Committee (CAUAC)
- Member, Gas, Power and Telecommunications Committee
- Member, 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Assessment Committee
- Police Commissioner, Calgary Police Commission (2007 – 2017)
- Director, ALERT (Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams)
- Director, Calgary Stampede Board
- Vice-Chair, Alberta Canadian Forces Liaison Council
- Co-Chair, RCMP National Council on Marihuana Grow-ops & Clandestine Labs
Past Federal & Provincial Order in Council Appointments
- President, Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Federal Conservative Riding Association (2 yrs)
- President, Honorable Ron Steven’s PC Constituency Association (3 yrs)
- Commissioner, Alberta Human Rights & Citizenship Commission (10 yrs)
- Commissioner, Alberta Worker’s Compensation Appeals Commission (3 yrs)
- Commissioner, Canada Pension Board Tribunal (3 yrs)
- Chair, Provincial Fatality Review Board (10 yrs)
- Chair, Standing Policy Committee, Community and Protective Services (4 yrs)
Past Accomplishments and Initiatives
- Member, Telework and WorkSHIFT Initiative Carpooling Initiative
- Member, Stop Marihuana Grow Ops Coalition
- Member, Smoke-Free Calgary Initiative
- Member, Transportation Project Office (TPO) Audit
- Member, Deerfoot Trail Safety Audit
- Member, Calgary Transit Public Safety Audit
- Continue listening, giving Ward 13 residents a voice in Calgary
- Maintaining Sound Fiscal Management
- Investing in Policing, Transit, Parks and Recreation Centres
- Preserve our community quality of life