When we come together as community, and have the right supports, services and opportunities, we can thrive and contribute socially, economically, physically and mentally.
Six Community Hubs have been intentionally developed and activated in Calgary to increase social inclusion and economic participation. The Hubs are in these spaces:
- Sunalta Community Association
- Bowness Community Association
- The Alex Community Food Centre
- Village Square Leisure Centre
- Bob Bahan Aquatic and Recreation Centre
- 1000 Voices at Genesis Centre (North of McKnight Community Hub)
The Community Hubs initiative is a partnership between the United Way Calgary and Area and The City of Calgary in support of the Enough For All strategy. We would like to thank our founding partner, Rotary Club of Calgary, for their contributions.
Community Social Workers look for opportunities to activate and create welcoming and inclusive gathering spaces. The goal is for these community hubs to be welcoming incubating spaces for community connections, capacity building opportunities, and places where residents can access services and support right in their community. Working alongside residents and partners, Community Social Workers identify barriers and opportunities for residents to participate in community life.
Community Hubs provide residents with a central access point for a range of health and social services. This includes social, cultural, recreational, and green spaces that promote a strong and vibrant community. Each Community Hub is as unique as the community it serves.
About the Hubs
- Community Hubs are welcoming neighbourhood gathering places that local residents visit to connect with each other and their community. They are places to relax, chat, meet up or work. A Community Hub should feel like home. Think of your favourite coffee shop, town square or park that you take your family or friends to. That is the type of environment we are looking to create.
- Community Hubs provide residents with a central access point for a range of health and social services. This includes social, cultural, recreational, and green spaces that promote a strong and vibrant community. Each Community Hub is as unique as the community it serves.