Volunteer with Community Social Work
Volunteer opportunities with the Community Social Work program vary, depending on each community. Some volunteer activities may include:
- Sitting on a Neighbourhood Granting Committee
- Planning an event or program
- Leading or assisting a community development project
- Serving as a Community Connector
Neighbourhoods that have Community Social Work volunteer opportunities include Abbeydale, Acadia, Bankview, Beltline, Bridgeland, Crossroads, Downtown Core, Greenview, Highland Park, Huntington Hills, Kingsland, Manchester, Rosscarrock, Southwood, Spruce Cliff, and Thorncliffe.
Volunteer opportunities are also available for residents in the following neighbourhoods that are part of the Community Hub Initiative:
- North of McKnight Community Hub at Genesis Centre: Castleridge | Coral Springs | Falconridge | Martindale | Saddleridge | Taradale
- Village Square Community Hub: Pineridge | Rundle | Temple | Whitehorn
- Bob Bahan Recreation Centre: Albert Park-Radisson Heights | Dover I Erin Woods | Forest Lawn | Penbrooke Meadows
- Sunalta Community Association: Sunalta
- Bowness Community Association: Bowness, Montgomery and Greenwood Village
To connect with a Community Social Worker and find out what volunteer opportunities are available in your neighbourhood, please contact the Community Social Work team at CSWInfo@calgary.ca.
If your community is not listed above, please check out The City's other volunteer opportunities or call 211.
Volunteering gave me the opportunity to learn more about different communities as a member of the Neighbourhood Grant Advisory Committee. Being a member of the PhotoVoice Project also made me aware about both the concerns and the beautiful side of the city. It improved my connections and my English language skills.
Volunteering for people who need assistance, like students, reduces stress and makes you healthier. It provides an opportunity to network with different people in your community, especially when you're an immigrant. It helps strengthen your skills and ability to interact with different kinds of people and gives you a sense of freedom to discuss what interests you.