First winter in Calgary
Winter in Canada can be different compared to other countries. A Canadian winter can be fun and beautiful. But it can also be cold and challenging.
Here are some tips and resources to help prepare you and your family for your first winter in Calgary.
During winter it is important to:
- Clear snow from roadways and sidewalks to help yourself and others travel or commute safely in cold weather.
- Prepare your home and car for the winter conditions.
- Know what to do when your car is stuck in cold weather.
- Avoid cold-related illness and injury for your family’s health and safety.
- Understand emotional challenges during the winter.
- Access clothing, food, shelter and transportation when needed.
- Explore winter activities, and
- Know who to contact during emergencies.
Getting around Calgary safely and preparing for the weather are important. This includes: