January 2022 Newsletter
Hello Ward 6!
I hope everyone has started off 2022 with health, hope and vision. I truly believe that 2022 will be a remarkable year, with everyone working together for a better Calgary. In this edition of the newsletter we will talk about property assessment, crime awareness, the Event Centre and much more.
You have now received your property assessment notices in the mail. I encourage you all to take the time necessary to examine your assessment for accuracy as the customer review period is from January 5 – March 14, 2022. Use the property calculator to help https://www.calgary.ca/pda/assessment/revenue-neutral-policy-and-calculator.html.
You can also calculate how your property tax dollars go to help make Calgary a great place to live https://www.calgary.ca/ca/city-manager/our-finances/taxes/tax-breakdown.html?redirect=/taxbreakdown
You can view all your information, access more useful tools and information, or contact the City Assessor at http://Calgary.ca/assessment
Have you ever been curious how your property assessment compares in your community and/or other communities in Ward 6? Now you can compare with our Ward 6 Property Assessment Market Report. https://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/ward-6/articles/property-assessment----ward-6-market-report.html
Ward 6 Rinks & Toboggan Hills
Have you laced up your skates yet this season? Ward 6 is home to so many incredible outdoor rinks that are maintained by our hardworking community volunteers. Here are some locations of ODRs that are a “must-visit”.
- Aspen -60 Aspen Hills Drive SW
- Discovery Ridge- corner of Discovery Ridge Hill and Discovery Ridge Blvd
- Coach Hill- 6840 Coach Hill Road S.W.
- Cougar Ridge – At Cougarstone Park on Cougar Ridge Dr SW
- Glendale- 2405 Glenmount Dr SW
- Glenbrook Community Association- 3524 45 St SW
- Glenbrook- 4725 Graham Dr. S.W.
- Glamorgan Community Association- 4207 41 Ave SW
- Signal Hill- 489 Sienna Park Green SW
- SCA Community Association- 277 Strathcona Dr SW
- Springbank/Montreaux- 535 St. Moritz DR S.W.
- Sprinbank Hill- 3804 Springbank Blvd. S.W.
- Westgate Community Association- 4943 8 Ave SW
- Wildwood Community Association- 4411 Spruce Dr SW
Contact your Community Association if you would like to help with ice maintenance.
Let’s not leave out the incredible City-maintained toboggan hills in our Ward!
- Signal Hill- 2063 Sirocco Dr. S.W.
- Glendale Park (Turtle Hill)- 2225 45 St. S.W.
Given that recent circumstances have rendered the originally negotiated agreements on an Event Centre non-viable, Council unanimously voted to affirm its previous strategic vision to develop a culture and entertainment district (which includes an Event Centre) that fits the long term goals of The City of Calgary (including the Downtown Strategy and the Rivers District Master Plan). I firmly believe we need to demonstrate confidence in our future.
Administration was directed by Council to engage a third party which would work to establish whether Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation is interested in re-entering discussions on a partnership to construct an Event Centre and what conditions might be required to do so, or determine whether there are other parties interested in partnering with the City of Calgary to construct an Event Centre. This report is due back on the 8 March 2022 Combined Meeting of Council.
Administration was also directed to re-establish the Event Centre Assessment Committee, bringing terms of reference based on the previously established ones in ECA2018-0766, for approval by Council to the 8 March 2022 Combined Meeting of Council. Personally, my key requirement was support for our vision of the entertainment and Rivers district. I understand the financial case for the Centre is strong, and that it needs to be an integral part of the BMO Conference Centre.
Security for Councillors
I am aware that there are concerns about my support of the recent Notice of Motion to allow the City to cover the costs of installing a home security system for City Councillors. Unfortunately, there have been 3 recent instances of protesters gathering outside an elected official's home, and conceivably there could be more.
I think it is very serious when a family feels threatened - this is not about a Councillor "toughening up "and listening to public opinion, it's about a family's safety, and the violation of their right to peaceful enjoyment of their home. It is even worse when innocent neighbors are impacted and are forced to worry about their safety. My constituents can reach out to me and my office at any time and do not need to resort to such public behaviour in order to get a response from me.
I will not be claiming these security costs for myself ($8000 is the maximum - and receipts are necessary) but I do support public resources for those Councillors whose circumstances necessitate it.
McPherson Ranch House- New Historic House in Signal Hill
Did you know that Signal Hill has a Historic House? On November 13, 2021 the Heritage Calgary board approved the following site to be updated to the Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources: McPherson Ranch House - 7011 SIERRA MORENA BV SW (Signal Hill) - Year Built: 1910
The McPherson Ranch House, located on former McPherson family ranch lands and operated by the family for nearly a century, possesses activity value for its associations with ranching. (Activity Value, City Wide Significance)
For more information go to https://www.heritagecalgary.ca/heritage-calgary-blog/macphersonranchhouse or drive by and check it out!
You can also now view all the inventory of historic buildings in Ward 6 and all of Calgary in a new interactive map. This would be a great way to spend a day visiting and learning about the richness of history in our area. There are some heritage sites that might surprise you! https://thecityofcalgary.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=024b96ffa4d74a0fb207e188b583b616
28th Annual Calgary Awards
Do you know an extraordinary person who has made a difference in Calgary? This is your opportunity to recognize deserving individuals, businesses and organizations who have improved the quality of life in our community.
Calgary Award categories include:
- Citizen of the Year
- Grant MacEwan Lifetime Achievement
- Community Advocate (individual & organization)
- International Achievement
Nominate them today at http://Calgary.ca/calgaryawards
With increasing concern regarding community safety in Ward 6 here is a great resource on who you should call for help. Crime awareness is the first step in decreasing crime activity. If you would like to see the crime stats in your area you can view them here.
- Aspen Woods - https://mycalgary.com/.../aspen-woods-crime-activity-update/
- Christie Park - https://mycalgary.com/communities/calgary/sw/christie_park/
- Coach Hill - https://mycalgary.com/.../coach-hill-crime-activity-update/
- Cougar Ridge - https://mycalgary.com/.../cougar-ridge-crime-activity.../
- Discovery Ridge - https://mycalgary.com/.../discovery-ridge-crime-activity.../
- Glamorgan – https://mycalgary.com/.../glamorgan-crime-activity-update/
- Glenbrook - https://mycalgary.com/.../glenbrook-crime-activity-update/
- Glendale - https://mycalgary.com/cri.../glendale-crime-activity-update/
- Patterson - https://mycalgary.com/.../patterson-crime-activity-update/
- Signal Hill - https://mycalgary.com/.../signal-hill-crime-activity-update/
- Springbank Hill - https://mycalgary.com/.../springbank-hill-crime-activity.../
- Spruce Cliff - https://mycalgary.com/.../spruce-cliff-crime-activity.../
- Strathcona - https://mycalgary.com/.../strathcona-crime-activity-update/
- West Springs - https://mycalgary.com/.../west-springs-crime-activity.../
- Westgate - https://mycalgary.com/cri.../westgate-crime-activity-update/
- Wildwood - https://mycalgary.com/cri.../wildwood-crime-activity-update/
Ward 6 Office Contact
Shannon Martel, Executive Assistant
E: email@example.com P: 403-268-1646
Ralph Smith, Community Assistant,
E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 403-268-1035
Suzy Trottier, Communications & Community Liaison
E: email@example.com P: 403-268-1380
To recieve an electronic email of our monthly newsletter sign up here: https://cocooc.microsoftcrmportals.com/subscription/
Categories: Crime, ENMAX, Event Centre, Outdoor Rinks, Property Assessment, Security