Adopt a cat or dog
Why should I adopt?
Adoption takes a cat or dog off Calgary’s streets into a loving, forever home. You’re reducing homeless pets in our city, and gaining a new, four-legged family member. Other benefits:
- All our animals are checked by a veterinarian for health.
- A Certified Professional Dog Trainer (CPDT) checks the dogs for behavioural problems.
- Cats are watched for behavioural problems during their stay.
- Our CPDT’s and qualified Animal Health Technologists help you throughout the adoption process.
- Volunteers work with our animals to keep them happy and socialized during their stay at the Animal Services Centre.
How do I adopt?
- We adopt on a “first come, first served” basis. You don’t need an appointment.
- Give yourself time. Meeting the animals takes at least half an hour.
- Bring your entire family- and dogs. It’s important to see how the new animal will “fit” with your family.
- Sometimes animals with adoption conditions require a second visit.
- We don’t put "holds" on a pet unless you must have a second visit.
- When you’ve found your new family member, our staff will help you finish the adoption.
How much does it cost?
It costs $221 + GST to adopt a dog and $166 + GST to adopt a cat. This fee covers:
- free 6-week trial of Petsecure pet health insurance
- spay or neutering surgery
- microchip implant for identification
- a six-month City of Calgary animal licence
- first set of vaccinations (excluding rabies)
- a bag of pet food
- an adoption kit
Animal Services also offers a Seniors for Seniors adoption program with special pricing options.
Cats for adoption
Cats looking for a new home.
Dogs for adoption
Dogs looking for a new home.
Responsible pet ownership
Pets and owners, living in harmony.
Programs and volunteering
Investing in the community.