Programs & Events
Virtual Employer Spotlights
Attend the Pedalheads Virtual Employer Spotlight.
There are currently no hiring events.
YEC retail training series workshops
There are currently no workshops
Opportunity for All Youth
Opportunity For All Youth is a national coalition which originated with the MaRS Solutions Lab in Toronto to address youth unemployment. The initiative was launched locally with The City of Calgary Youth Employment Centre (YEC) in September 2018. To date, CERT Logistics, Cintas, Fairmont Palliser, HMS Host, Hyatt Regency, Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, Starbucks, TELUS, The Source and Walmart have joined the coalition in Calgary.
Over five years, the aim of the coalition is to provide opportunities for 40,000 NEET (not in employment, education or training) youth who face barriers to entering the workforce across Canada. This goal will be achieved through partnerships between employers, employment agencies, governments and foundations. It focuses on the hiring, retention and career progression of youth who are job-ready but have challenges to obtaining employment.
In partnership with the coalition employers, YEC hosts Opportunity For All Youth hiring events year-round.
Youth ages 16-24 are encouraged to drop in to YEC (2nd floor, 315 10th Ave SE) for more information on upcoming events.
This Way ONward
The City of Calgary Youth Employment Centre (YEC) has partnered with Gap Inc. to offer This Way ONward (formerly This Way Ahead), a life skills and paid store internship program to help youth ages 16 - 24 land their first job with Old Navy.
This Way ONward launched in New York City in 2007 and has since expanded to over 14 cities across North America. YEC launched This Way ONward in Calgary in 2018.
This Way ONward Program Details:
- Program participants must be between the ages of 16 - 24
- The program provides participants the opportunity to learn and master resume building, cover letter writing, interview skills and customer service training once a week from April - June 2021
- Participants will then have the opportunity to interview for a paid in-store internship at a local Old Navy store
- Youth successful in being hired for an internship will work 12 hours/week for 10 weeks from June 13, 2021 - August 21, 2021 (availability and commitment for the whole internship is expected)
- Strong possibility for ongoing part-time employment post-internship
- A YEC employment counsellor is available to support the youth through the program, and continue to provide career and employment assistance after the internship
To learn more, please sign-up for a live information session below. If you cannot join live, a recording is made available following the event, but you need to register for access to this recording.
Live Information Sessions:
- Thursday, Feb. 18, 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 19, 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 24, 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 25, 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 4, 11:00 a.m.
Completed the Information Session:
After you attend an information session please complete the application form for the program.
Application deadline is March 29, 2021. Limited spots available.
For more information on This Way ONward Calgary, please contact Nancy Gibbons, Youth Employment Counsellor, at 587-888-5338 or email Nancy.Gibbons@Calgary.ca.
Please come back to this page for updates on upcoming events.