Customers who have already been approved for Fair Entry may also apply for Recreation Fee Assistance. If approved, you can receive discounts on rates for all ages for recreation programs and amenities across the city (as long as your Fair Entry status is valid). You do not need a Fee Assistance card to purchase a Low Income Transit Pass.
How to get a Fee Assistance card
Bring your Fair Entry acceptance letter and picture ID to any open City pool and fitness facility. Please be aware that you may have to wait in line and follow safety procedures. Cards will only be issued to the card holder - a friend or family member can't pick up a card on your behalf as we need to take your picture for the card.
If you do not have a Fee Assistance card, City-run facilities will accept your Fair Entry acceptance letter and photo ID in lieu of the card. Many of our partner facilities have agreed to do the same, but contact the partner directly to ask about their Fee Assistance requirements.
- Your Fee Assistance expires one year from the day after your approval. The expiry date will be noted on your card.
- If you are on AISH, your Fee Assistance expires when your AISH benefits expire, the year you turn 65 years of age or if you move out of Calgary (whichever happens first).
- Renewal can be done through Fair Entry up to one month before your Fair Entry expiry date.
- If you are on AISH, you don’t need to re-apply.
Lose or forget your card?
- There is a $2.50 administration fee to reprint your first lost card. After that, it will cost $10 to reprint your card.
- If your card has been stolen, you must fill out a police report and a new card will be issued free of charge.
- Request a new card anywhere you can apply for Fee Assistance.
Where can I use Fee Assistance?
City registered programs
Almost all registered programs we offer are eligible under the Fee Assistance program (some restrictions may apply). Show your Fee Assistance card when you pay for the program. Browse programs.
- Save 90% of the registration fee to a maximum of $100 per program. E.g. If a program costs $39.50, you pay $3.95. On a day camp that costs $168, you pay $68.
- Up to four programs to a maximum of $250 (whichever comes first) during a 12 month period. You must pay for any charges over and above the $250 subsidy.
- Save 90% of the registration fee to a maximum of $50. E.g. If a class costs $41.15, you pay $4.11.
- One program during a 12 month period. You must pay for any charges over and above the $50 subsidy.
- Fee Assistance cannot be applied to online registrations.
- Fee assistance does not apply to pre/post care or extra fees.
- JumpStart individual funding for registered programs is no longer being accepted.
- Unused subsidy cannot be carried over or transferred.
- If you withdraw from a program after the start date, you will lose both the course cost you paid and the subsidy amount. If you withdraw from a program before the start date, you will only lose the course cost you paid.
City Aquatic & Fitness Facilities/Leisure Centres
Save 75% on general admission drop-in rates, 10x punch cards and 1-month or 12-month term passes (the 1-month continuous pass is not eligible for Fee Assistance). Show your Fee Assistance card when you purchase these products. Browse Recreation facilities.
- You may not hold more than one 10x punch card at a time (a new 10x punch card cannot be purchased until all 10 punches from a previous card are used)
- You cannot purchase a 10x punch card less than 10 days before your Fee Assistance expiry
- Punch cards are only valid for the designated facility/activity type
- Aquatic & Fitness Centre (AFC)
- Leisure Centre (LC) – top-up fees not applicable
- Skating and Shinny
- Punch cards can only be used by the cardholder; cannot be used for other individuals
- Punch cards expire 2 years from the date of purchase
- 1-month term pass ‘renewals’ may only be purchased 29 days in advance of the next month.
- 1-month term pass must be purchased within one month of Fee Assistance expiry. Your pass can’t expire more than one month after your Fee Assistance expires.
- 12-month term passes must be purchased within the first month of subsidy allotment/renewal. Your pass can’t expire more than one month after your Fee Assistance expires.
- Recreation Pass is valid for all Aquatic & Fitness Centre (AFC) admissions and drop-in opportunities at applicable Arenas (e.g. public skate, shinny). Fee Assistance discount is applicable on top-up fees for admission to Leisure Centres.
- Recreation Pass Plus is valid for both Leisure Centres, all AFC admissions and drop-in opportunities at applicable Arenas (e.g. public skate, shinny).
- Passes can only be used by the passholder; cannot be used for other individuals.
- All term passes must be paid in full (after Fee Assistance discount) at time of purchase.
- Fee Assistance does not apply to:
- Pre/post care
- Continuous monthly passes
- Other deals or promotions
- Punch cards/passes purchased before January 1, 2020 are still valid under the Terms and Conditions for when they were purchased (e.g. expiry dates, tiers/services)
City golf courses
Save 65% of the posted adult green fee (varies by course and may change without notice) to a maximum of 10 rounds of golf. Fee Assistance rates are only available anytime Monday to Thursday and after 2 p.m. Friday to Sunday (including holidays). Browse golf courses or contact a clubhouse for more information.
Present your valid Fee Assistance card at any City clubhouse for a Fee Assistance Smart Card (account is entered in the system). During COVID-19, City golf courses will accept a valid Fair Entry acceptance letter and photo ID if you don’t have a Fee Assistance card.
Youth 6-15 years of age who have been approved for Fee Assistance can access free opportunities to learn and play golf. Learn about the Junior Golf Subsidy program.
- Rain checks are not available for discounted Fee Assistance green fees.
- You may not hold more than one Fee Assistance Smart Card per person per golf season.
- Fee Assistance Smart Card can only be used by the cardholder; cannot be used for other individuals
- Cannot be combined with any other offer or further discounted on reduced green fee rates.
- Golf Administration is the final authority on all conditions of use and associated interpretations.
- Management reserves the right to revoke or suspend playing privileges for reasons including (but not limited to) failure to comply with facility rules and regulations, policies, standards of behavior or conditions of use.
Partner facilities may set their own Fee Assistance rates. Partners and rates may change without notice.
If you already have a Fee Assistance card, you can show it at the following partner facilities when you pay for admission. During COVID-19, contact the partner facility directly to ask about their Fee Assistance requirements if you don't have a Fee Assistance card.
- Bow Habitat Station
- Cardel Rec South
- Calgary Rotary Challenger Park
- Calgary Zoo
- Fort Calgary
- Glenbow Museum
- Hangar Flight Museum
- Heritage Park
- In-Definite Arts
- Marda Loop Communities Association
- Studio Bell, Home of the National Music Centre
- Sikome Lake
- Silver Springs Outdoor Pool
- Repsol Sport Centre (formerly Talisman Centre)
- TELUS Spark
- Trico Centre For Family Wellness
- Vecova (formerly V.R.R.I.)
- Vertigo Theatre
- Vivo (formerly Cardel Place)
- WP Puppet Theatre
- Your Recreation subsidy will not be impacted if you visit a partner facility.